Rear high flange forebrake question...

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

BFGforme

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
Hello, I recently purchased a front end rear fore brakes! Question is the rear sprocket, it's 16 tooth and like always riding uphill! Wondering if there is other options for sprockets, does other brands work or schwinn only? Anyone have a 20-22 tooth sprocket that will work on this hub? Wanted to ask here first before I post in wanted section... thanks for your knowledge...
IMG_20200321_183216059.jpg

1817cent

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 18, 2016
Ellensburg Washington
Will be curious what you find out. I have 2 bikes with the rear hub like yours and have the same problem.

Reactions: BFGforme

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
From Schwinn lit that I've seen, they only offered a 16-17 and 18 tooth freewheel sprocket.

BFGforme

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
What I'm hearing is most common on'40-41 was 20 tooth sprockets and used commonly into post war also....so someone should have some.... here's example...
IMG_6854.jpg

Let me know if have one???

bobcycles

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Sep 30, 2006
so cal beaches
What I'm hearing is most common on'40-41 was 20 tooth sprockets and used commonly into post war also....so someone should have some.... here's example...
IMG_6854.jpg

Let me know if have one???
No idea where you would have heard 20 tooth were common....bogus info...
very tough finding anything substantial...most are 16--18

Autocycleplane

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Jan 6, 2010
NorCal, United States
16, 17, 18 freewheels were offered on the early 38-39 dural rear hub. I think other period euro freewheels fit and come in other sizes.

14, 16, 18, and 20 (8 & 10 1" pitch too) rear cogs were offered on the later 40+ drum (like you have pictured above) that used a proprietary freehub assembly. It shares that assembly with the same period large flange rear hubs, so one of those might be a source for the 20 you seek.

Here is a set of '40 BA Special wheels, you can see the 20t on the rear.

IMG_5426.JPG

BFGforme

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
I also meant to say common on'40-41 autocycles had the 20 tooth, lightweights had the smaller ones, racer, track bikes etc....

This ad goes away when you register for an account!

BFGforme

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
Anyone know of any other sprockets that might work on this? At the moment my only rideable bike and it's wreaking my knees! Thanks in advance.....

BFGforme

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
If you mean smaller front sprocket on crank? I can't it cost to be cool... even if it means blowing out knees, then......weeeellll

BFGforme

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Nov 28, 2016
Oceanside CA
Adjusting barrels for the brakes arriving today! Now just need a sprocket, or bunch of hills to ride down! Lmao! Please someone has to have a stash....

prewarkid

Finally riding a big boys bike
Oct 26, 2010
714 Baby!
I had one of these before and I removed the cog from hub and took them it into a bike shop. Bike shop owner looked at it and handed a 20 tooth cog, thread right on and worked like a charm. Cant remember the brand but I remember it was for a BMX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cooper S.

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Aug 28, 2016
New Lenox Illinois
You could get the smaller 46 prewar clover style sprocket instead of the big 52 tooth

This ad goes away when you register for an account!