When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear high flange forebrake question...

-

BFGforme

riding my 42 defense model Bf Goodrich
Hello, I recently purchased a front end rear fore brakes! Question is the rear sprocket, it's 16 tooth and like always riding uphill! Wondering if there is other options for sprockets, does other brands work or schwinn only? Anyone have a 20-22 tooth sprocket that will work on this hub? Wanted to ask here first before I post in wanted section... thanks for your knowledge...
IMG_20200321_183216059.jpg

Will be curious what you find out. I have 2 bikes with the rear hub like yours and have the same problem.

From Schwinn lit that I've seen, they only offered a 16-17 and 18 tooth freewheel sprocket.

What I'm hearing is most common on'40-41 was 20 tooth sprockets and used commonly into post war also....so someone should have some.... here's example...
IMG_6854.jpg

Let me know if have one???

16, 17, 18 freewheels were offered on the early 38-39 dural rear hub. I think other period euro freewheels fit and come in other sizes.

14, 16, 18, and 20 (8 & 10 1" pitch too) rear cogs were offered on the later 40+ drum (like you have pictured above) that used a proprietary freehub assembly. It shares that assembly with the same period large flange rear hubs, so one of those might be a source for the 20 you seek.

Here is a set of '40 BA Special wheels, you can see the 20t on the rear.

IMG_5426.JPG

I also meant to say common on'40-41 autocycles had the 20 tooth, lightweights had the smaller ones, racer, track bikes etc....

Back