When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear hub disassembly??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
As promised, I'm reporting back...beaten and humiliated. I got the Park freewheel tool. I ground off two of the four lugs so's it'd fit my freewheel assembly - and then filed down the remaining lugs so they'd fit nicely. And that's about where the progress ground to a halt. The axle didn't protrude so I could put the axle nut back on, holding the freewheel tool tenderly - but safely - in place. My next step was to figure..."No problem. I'll just adjust the axle so it'll protrude, and get down to the business at hand." Fine idea, IF the lock nut on one of the bearing cones would back off. Nope. It's tightened against the cone for all eternity. I tried using penetrating oil, heat, breaker bar/vise, etc. I finally stopped at the edge of destruction. I'm going to lovingly grease the bearing and reassemble the whole thing. The whole exercise was to get the cog off, so I could lace the rear hub onto a new, shiny rim. Instead, I'm now going to reuse the rim...just de-rust it, and polish it. It'll be ok. I hate to shame and expose myself to a group that I value and admire. But I promised. I'll do better next time. And I really hate freewheel hubs. Really.

The freewheel shown is one of the hardest ones to get off successfully.
Its Hard to do & I've done it many many times. Key is correct tool.

Back