When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear hub questions? identify/rebuild

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

PD Monkey

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello, I recently bought a 62 Fleet. It is my first older bike so hopefully these questions aren't too dumb.

It has a single speed coaster brake. The hub only says Germany on it. It spins pretty good but there is a little crunching in there. A few questions.

What brand hub is it?
I have never taken on apart, but I can't imagine it is too hard. Any tips??
There is a little side to side play on the hub. I noticed the axle bolt has a squared end. I thought I recalled reading somewhere that turning the axle bolt does "something".
There is probably around 1/3 of a rotation of freeplay to hit the brakes/start pedaling.
There is a nipple on the hub, is this to add oil/lubricate?
The brakes are pretty weak. I was hoping if I cleaned up the hub, I could clean/rough up the brake surfaces?

Side question:
The crank nut looks a little different from anything I have seen. I am assuming it comes apart like a traditional set of Schwinn cranks? They are smooth but I might take them apart to clean up some rust.

Thanks in advance!!

IMG_2090.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

IMG_2092.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

Rear hub with oil port perhaps F&S Fichtel & Sachs. Common adjustment for excess lateral play is tighten cone nut. Damaged bearing balls make crunch sound.

Your hub shell looks like this one. Is the shell marked Schwinn Approved?

1669777221495.png

Thank you @GTs58 , that looks like the one I have. I'll have to google that service manual or check youtube. It does look pretty simple. Hopefully the bearings are in one piece. I would think they are is it rides good, just a little crunchy like it might have sand in it. It has been a San Diego/Santa Cruz bike all it's life.

I took it apart and cleaned it up. The cone has some minor pitting, not bad for 60 years old. The brakes were pretty glazed. I cleaned and lightly roughed them up. The grooved on the inside lip are pretty caked. I tried to clean to grooves but 60 years of crust won. It wasn't budging. The brakes work....just OK before. Hopefully they will be a little better now. Where would I even look for new brake pads, if I wanted to replace them?

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

Back