When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear hub questions? identify/rebuild

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Don't let the Schwinn Approved stamped brake arm fool you, it's a Komet German hub. It's a great brake, very trouble free. It does not come apart from the right side of the hub, like other brakes. The right side cone is supposed to be fixed to the axle (as in turn all the way down to the bottom of the axle threads). The bearing adjustment is done by loosening the brake arm lock nut and they had a tool that grabbed the square shoulder on the right end of the axle and you turned the axle to adjust the bearings. If the wheel was off the bike, we just secured the square end of the axle into a vise and turned the brake arm side cone to adjust. They were a good brake, but I seem to remember they were a little pricey.

I believe Schwinn was forced into sourcing other brand parts as the usual American bicycle parts companies started to drop away from making bicycle parts. Diamond Chains were replaced by French Sedis and German Union. New Departure brakes were replaced by Bendix, Bendix brakes were replaced by Perry (England), Komet (Germany), and we saw some Matatuck (a New Departure copy), then Shimano brakes. The last thing I remember Torrington making was spokes. The industry was under high pressure to keep the low retail pricing.

John

Back