When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear rack

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

BroCraig

Finally riding a big boys bike
Where can I get a rear rack for my 1963 Racer? I want one with the spring in it but it does not have to be vintage. I’ve checked on Amazon, but trust you all here a great deal more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I have found some of the Pletscher Bike Racks on ebay. I need to know which one fits my '63 Racer. I got one only to find out the bottom mounts are too wide. I could possibly find longer screws, but the rack mount covers up the fender mount and looks a bit awkward. I need one that has a mount that comes from the rear and to the fender mount screw and with a hole that is not super wide...or I just

get longer screws. Does that make sense?
5E7B23ED-2771-4E43-A19C-CFBFFA65442F.jpeg

5E7B23ED-2771-4E43-A19C-CFBFFA65442F.jpeg

NICE Racer, love the black!
Longer bolts attached at the fender eyelet would work if you want to keep the Pletscher but the rack legs are so long that the rack doesn’t sit level. I think either your rack was designed for a 27” wheeled 10 speed or, if possible, the front support needs to be mounted higher up on the seat stays (closer to the seat) to sit level. If you don’t care about it being level use the longer bolts.
Schwinn started selling accessory carriers in the1965 catalog. Below is a good pic from the ‘66 catalog of the early carriers. The top one was designed for middleweights; the leg length would fit your 26” lightweight but may be to wide at the bottom. It has a spring holder.

I think the “correct” rack for your lightweight Racer would have been the bottom rack, but it doesn’t have a spring clamp on top.

I do need to attach it higher in the front. Thought I had it right but I think maybe it slipped.

A Pletscher with legs that are about 1” shorter then the one you have may give you a level fit.

I raised the front and it’s a lot better. Will take a picture

I do need to attach it higher in the front. Thought I had it right but I think maybe it slipped.

BroCraig:
It's easy. You need a T bracket to keep the rack from slipping. Go to forum on lightweight Schwinn bicycles and see the thread on rack/carrier question for pictures of brackets and typical installations. If your rack didn't come with a bracket, they are easily fabricated.

By someone who can. Wait. I know a guy. I’ll see what he can do.
It's easy to make a bracket:
  1. Loosen bolts on the rack and position it level
  2. Measure from center of bolts to center of brake bolt where brake is attached to the frame
  3. Get a piece of aluminum (about 1/16") or steel (about 19 ga) and drill three holes to fit the bolts
  4. Cut out a "T" or a triangle with a tinsnips or a hacksaw or some such
  5. Clean it up and bolt it on
See photos below
  1. 1164029

Back