When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reasons to Join The Wheelman or The Veteran Cycle Club

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
How many publications/newsletters do you get from The Wheelmen in a year?
You get four small newsletters and two glossy printed magazines each year. The magazines are where the great articles appear. You can also post free classified ads with things for sale or wanted.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 3.53.37 PM.png

As a member of the Wheelmen you can go to their website and look through the magazine index for articles of interest and order past magazines. They are reasonable at $5 - 9 each.

Wait!, is that the badge collection at Patric’s house?!

View attachment 1341870

I've read this interview with Jos last year. I'm almost positive it was posted in Grant Petersen's blahg on the Rivbike site. They got connected because Jos requested some Rivendell badges, and Riv absolutely won't sell badges or decals unless you can prove you have the frame to go with. Apparently Grant made an exception for Jos given the clear intent to not misuse them.

Now the CT Wheelmen are a cool bunch, and somewhat active in the New Haven area (at least pre-COVID). Even though I love learning about the very early bikes (and own a qualifying antique), my tastes for what I actually ride run newer (and often European). Where does the Veteran cycle club focus their interest?

Mostly vintage English bikes. Often stuff we rarely see in the US - old tall frame roadsters, x-frames, early hubs, etc. Our 1930s - 70s era Raleigh stuff is pretty common to them, but they do have enthusiasts into those bikes too. I ordered the Sturmey hub book, and they were very helpful getting a copy to me. Postage to Conn. was not cheap, but it was worth it.

Mostly vintage English bikes. Often stuff we rarely see in the US - old tall frame roadsters, x-frames, early hubs, etc. Our 1930s - 70s era Raleigh stuff is pretty common to them, but they do have enthusiasts into those bikes too. I ordered the Sturmey hub book, and they were very helpful getting a copy to me. Postage to Conn. was not cheap, but it was worth it.
Thanks! I'm into the common stuff myself ('50's light roadsters), but watching Rowan on the tube has whetted my appetite for the whole gamut.

Since I'm not attending local events anyhow, I'll give the Veterans a shot this year.

V-CC supposedly had a chapter up in Massachusetts somewhere, but I'm sure like everything, there isn't much in the way of meet-up activity lately. The V-CC membership gives you access to their online library, which has many historic catalogs and other information on what goes with which year.

I've read this interview with Jos last year. I'm almost positive it was posted in Grant Petersen's blahg on the Rivbike site. They got connected because Jos requested some Rivendell badges, and Riv absolutely won't sell badges or decals unless you can prove you have the frame to go with. Apparently Grant made an exception for Jos given the clear intent to not misuse them.

Now the CT Wheelmen are a cool bunch, and somewhat active in the New Haven area (at least pre-COVID). Even though I love learning about the very early bikes (and own a qualifying antique), my tastes for what I actually ride run newer (and often European). Where does the Veteran cycle club focus their interest?
As @SirMike1983 says, the focus is broadly speaking on British bikes but the magazine articles are quite broad ranging.
We have two publications: "News & Views", which features section ride reports, recent finds, lively correspondence and a great classifieds section.
Secondly, "The Boneshaker" is a more technical journal and features in depth cycling articles and research on cycling history worldwide; it is esoteric, often eccentric, but always fascinating.

Back