When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rebuilding Bottom Bracket Help

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

undercover_poe

Finally riding a big boys bike
As the title explains I’m looking for some guidance in rebuilding my BB. Once i put everything back together the axle spins as poorly as I did when I got the bike. I’ve sourced new bearings for $7.00 with shipping and whomever said i probably don’t need new bearings was right. When I popped out the old bearing they spun fine. But now I’ve got to put it back together and I tap the new bearings in and insert the shaft and it doesn’t spin nice. I’ve taken the New and old bearings in and out several times and I’m not understanding how to get it back together without it being really hard to turn the spindle. Any advise would be appreciated, here are some pics for reference
947180ce3465eb171543ff3343a6d54c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ba23522cc2a5dfbcde66f0a17e496ce7.jpg
573e47d06a4bfeec476c3503863a0e51.jpg

Last edited:
Just a wild guess, maybe the spindle is bent. I wouldn't think it would take much to bind up the bearings.
confused2.gif

"doesn't spin nicely". Explain what this means. Cartridge bearings like that don't spin, but roll smoothly packed with grease. Are they rough and/or bind when turning the spindle?

Last edited:
Is there a sleeve installed between the bearings?

This is probably the issue....the missing internal bearing spacer that keeps the inner bearing races equidistant. But, the tightening bolt hasn't been tightened yet?!?!.

But, the tightening bolt hasn't been tightened yet?!?!.

I'd guess those bearings are deep groove. A center sleeve is a must for proper operation. With out it your just loading up on the bearings and you will always have tons of side load.

It takes virtually no pre load or some times none to have properly adjusted non angular cartridge bearings. Sometimes they will have a little play but will be adjusted well also.

You'll only really find angular cartridge bearings on high end modern parts.

Center sleeves can be a pain too- If they are too long, cups won't press in fully. If they are too short, sleeve may as well not be there.

inside-bearings.jpg

So I guess “doesn’t spin nicely” is a relative term. When I put twist is my fingers I feel like there is too much resistance. When I put the crank arms on and spin it, it feels “fine”. I guess this is as good as it gets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back