When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recently Acquired This Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Chris Heckman

On Training Wheels
I recently acquired this bicycle but I am totally clueless as to what it is and what it might be worth. I have the frame, seat post, crank, chain, pedals and 2 rims but one has been chewed up by something.
20160424_162107.jpg
20160424_162050.jpg

March.jpg

Well, what you have there seems rather self-evident: it is a March-Davis "Admiral".

March-Davis Cycle Mfg. was a fairly regional manufacturer, incorporated in Chicago in 1892 by August R. March and Walter Davis. The company lost most of their manufacturing business located on Canal Street in a large fire in January of the following year, but with insurance money they made a comeback, selling throughout the years of the Great Boom.

march2.jpg

As successful as they were for a while, the two principals didn't always see eye-to-eye:

march3.jpg

march4.jpg

By 1895, March-Davis had joined the National Cycle Board of Trade and promoted their wheels at the first ever Cycle Show in Los Angeles at Hazard's Pavilion. Their booth was notable for the presence of the famous clown Billy Burke (father of Glinda the Good Witch) as an attraction.

cb4533550cc125a626d4c57520c0011d.jpg

(^^Not even kidding - that's Billy Burke.)

In 1896, March Davis moved their manufacturing concern to a factory at the corner of Columbus and Wabansia, with a retail outlet on Washington. Eventually they had outlets as far away as Post Street in San Francisco, and on Broadway in New York, selling the "Admiral" and "March" marques.

Sadly, it seems the weight of these promotions and far-flung stores along with the flagging prices of cycles led to the "bust" of March-Davis in May of 1896.

march5.jpg

By 1897 their $100 bikes were selling for under $30 bucks, and it was downhill from there.

march6.jpg

march7.jpg

The company was reorganized by the courts and struggled on for a while, but the rot had set in, and after about 1899 the once proud March-Davis Cycle Manufacturing Company disappeared without a trace, as far as I know.

march8.jpg

And now I've told you probably more than you ever wanted to know about the history of your bike.

It's a sad, familiar story.

Arnold, Schwinn & Company sold an Admiral in later years that had a head badge the resembles the March-Davis badge. So to continue the history I'm sure there is someone here that and tell us if Schwinn purchased March-Davis?

i would round up the parts and make a rider out of her you have all the real hard stuff to find ! if you just want sell her it will be worth more to someone with the desire to complete such a machine to keep my guess 400.00 to 450.00 range just an estimate !

Arnold, Schwinn & Company sold an Admiral in later years that had a head badge the resembles the March-Davis badge. So to continue the history I'm sure there is someone here that and tell us if Schwinn purchased March-Davis?
Not only did Schwinn acquire the March-Davis factory in 1899, but I think Schwinn took over some of the machining. Mid-1890s Schwinns I've seen had a square fork. I had a Schwinn Admiral, and the fork looked identical to the fork on my March-Davis.

i would round up the parts and make a rider out of her you have all the real hard stuff to find ! if you just want sell her it will be worth more to someone with the desire to complete such a machine to keep my guess 400.00 to 450.00 range just an estimate !
This March-Davis was my great-grandfather's. It's all original except the pedals, front sprocket, and saddle. I'm curious how close in appearance those parts are to the original. Anyone know?

View attachment 341572
That's one fantastic machine!

Back