When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rechroming poll

-

41compax

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi, I've gotten several rechroming quotes that far exceed the value of this bike for the next 200 years, not including the shipping to and from the rechroming company . My question for those who have had a lot their bike of parts rechromed, who has done you a great job for a semi reasonable cost? Thanks!

Much cheaper to buy a nice original than to invest a lot into a "restoration" that ruins any value of most bikes. Also,some old bike used nickel plating not chrome.

I totally understand your point but this bike has been in the family for about 68 years so one in better condition isn't really an option. You do make a point though that I should ask about. I'm pretty sure this Compax had/has chrome plating - not nickel. The reason I think that is I can see where a lot of the finish has flaked off. In my limited experience, I've only run into flaking in regards to chrome. Do you know if nickel plating flakes off like chrome?

I totally understand your point but this bike has been in the family for about 68 years so one in better condition isn't really an option. You do make a point though that I should ask about. I'm pretty sure this Compax had/has chrome plating - not nickel. The reason I think that is I can see where a lot of the finish has flaked off. In my limited experience, I've only run into flaking in regards to chrome. Do you know if nickel plating flakes off like chrome?
Some chromers have high minimums that are more reasonable when spread over many parts. Check with local friends and see if you can get a break on larger quantity of work in a package. Also, many are middlemen that do the prep (which is an art form in itself-bad prep = junk parts) then send to another shop for chroming. In the end, you get what you pay for and chroming like paint work is expensive but unlike paint, you cannot do it yourself...

If this bike is important for its familial history, I say re-plate it if you desire. It's not about the money. You can put the money in your will, or you can put the bike in your will. No difference. The easy part of chrome is the chrome. The hard part is the stripping, the copper plating, and the polishing. Once that is done, the nickel coats all that work for the shine. Nickel tarnishes. Chrome is just another coating over what's already shiny. Do NOT go with the cheap guy. He'll give you garbage. There are plating houses that have earned a reputation for good work because of their good work. Always specify the amount of attention needed on each part. "Don't round this. These must fit. Both sides show."
Let's see the pics.

Unless the restored value of a bike is in the multiple thousands plating will not be worth it monetarily. I have rechromed and renickled several bikes back when plating was substantially cheaper than it is now and it was not cost effective even back then.

The issue of sentimental value comes up all the time. Nobody can tell another what that is worth.

The plater I used for many bikes is New England Chrome Plating in East Hartford CT. They did a good job for me but it has been years and I hand delivered and hand picked up my parts. Back then prices were $75 for handlebars, $45 for hub shells, $200 or more for rims and the like. I'm sure prices have skyrocketed since then.

And yes, the Compax is chrome on all the major brightwork. Some parts would have been cadmium plated back then but it is pretty much outlawed now as it is very hazardous.

Back