When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rechroming poll

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I would say yes and no...i think a new unplated production part only gets a quick clean and flash chrome. Typical rechroming tends to lose detail through the cleaning, polishing and layers of plating. Specialty chromers experienced in high end vintage car restorations usually understand and have learned the techniques to properly replicate the correct type or style of chroming that would go with a particular era of bike. And i am sure the process has changed over the many decades further affecting results.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I totally understand your point but this bike has been in the family for about 68 years so one in better condition isn't really an option. You do make a point though that I should ask about. I'm pretty sure this Compax had/has chrome plating - not nickel. The reason I think that is I can see where a lot of the finish has flaked off. In my limited experience, I've only run into flaking in regards to chrome. Do you know if nickel plating flakes off like chrome?

Let's see some pics of the bike

Would it be possible to replace your parts indeed of chrome with original parts you could slowly accumulate from here,eBay, or swaps???

I learned long ago anything is possible and even though I'm younger than the bike, we're both getting older. While I would gladly try to upgrade parts if the right ones became available, I'd still like to retain/reuse as many parts as I can that are original to this bike - just for the sentimental value. I've only had the bike in my possession for a few months now but would still like to be able to ride it in the summer of 2019. Said another way, Murphy's Law says better condition original chromed parts will only show up AFTER this bike is back together. ;)

Let's see some pics of the bike

compax.whole.1.jpg
compax.whole.2.jpg
despoked.rear.rim1.jpg
despoked.rear.rim2.jpg

Thank you to all for the suggestions on rechromers they have used. I'll start making calls and see who has what to say. I already know I'll have a lot more invested in the bike than it will ever be worth but I'd like to see the bike closer to how it looked in 1941. Again, thanks all!

I would say yes and no...i think a new unplated production part only gets a quick clean and flash chrome. Typical rechroming tends to lose detail through the cleaning, polishing and layers of plating. Specialty chromers experienced in high end vintage car restorations usually understand and have learned the techniques to properly replicate the correct type or style of chroming that would go with a particular era of bike. And i am sure the process has changed over the many decades further affecting results.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I HAVE HEARD THE ORIGINAL FENDERS AND RIMS WERE 'FLASH CHROME'!
THAT WAS SUPPOSEDLY WHY THEIR CHROME CLOUDED UP OVER A PERIOD OF TIME.

THE OTHER PARTS?

Your bike looks like it’s in nice original condition. Have you just tried cleaning it up? It’s only original once and that’s what most collectors desire. I know it’s not for sale. That’s cool it has a Stewart Warner floating hub in the front. What’s under the seat cover?

Back