When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rechroming poll

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I HAVE HEARD THE ORIGINAL FENDERS AND RIMS WERE 'FLASH CHROME'!
THAT WAS SUPPOSEDLY WHY THEIR CHROME CLOUDED UP OVER A PERIOD OF TIME.

THE OTHER PARTS?

Does anyone do "flash chrome" now - whatever that is? - ha - as if they do, that might make the bike more original. Seriously, my goal is simply to have a functional bike that looks as close to what it did when it was first purchased. It doesn't bother me at all to replace as many internal parts - bearings, races, chain, screws, nuts, etc. as I can find - I'd just like to keep the major outward appearing parts as they once looked.

Reactions: JRE
LOL! I think my Father repainted it, including the rims black. All I recall from an early age is that he may have ridden it with me in the non-original basket, then I rode it, until someone said it was a girl's bike due to no upper bar, at which time I finally got a new "fat tire bike" for Christmas. That bike, whatever it was is long gone but the Compax remained.

Your bike looks like it’s in nice original condition. Have you just tried cleaning it up? It’s only original once and that’s what most collectors desire. I know it’s not for sale. That’s cool it has a Stewart Warner floating hub in the front. What’s under the seat cover?

Hi Kreika, Someone - most likely my Father - repainted it mostly red - as I found a blue/gray paint under the badge/inside the fenders - when I was stripping the paint. Along with the red paint, the Citristrip removed any evidence of decals, so it could never have been "original" again, as most collectors prefer. This never was about the bike's value - just sentimental value to me because a descendant will have to sell it - never me. As for what's under the seat cover, I honestly haven't looked because the seat would be the last thing to go back on. That said, the seat is off and removed from the bar it attaches to - in anticipation of getting that bar rechromed - but I haven't gotten around to removing the new seat cover.
color1.jpg
color4.jpg

I took 24 pieces in for chrome for my sisters hawthorne restoration, a bike like this one pictured, rims. crank, sprocket, bars, gooseneck rear rack legs and side rails, tank bezel, fork top cover, brake arm ,and misc. barring cups nuts & bolts. Quoted $450.00 and a fast 2 week turn around , This will be my first time using this plater so i'm crossing my fingers

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I took 24 pieces in for chrome for my sisters hawthorne restoration, a bike like this one pictured, rims. crank, sprocket, bars, gooseneck rear rack legs and side rails, tank bezel, fork top cover, brake arm ,and misc. barring cups nuts & bolts. Quoted $450.00 and a fast 2 week turn around , This will be my first time using this plater so i'm crossing my fingers

View attachment 822422

View attachment 822423

Once you get them back please let me know if they did a good or a bad job. Thanks!

Hi Kreika, Someone - most likely my Father - repainted it mostly red - as I found a blue/gray paint under the badge/inside the fenders - when I was stripping the paint. Along with the red paint, the Citristrip removed any evidence of decals, so it could never have been "original" again, as most collectors prefer. This never was about the bike's value - just sentimental value to me because a descendant will have to sell it - never me. As for what's under the seat cover, I honestly haven't looked because the seat would be the last thing to go back on. That said, the seat is off and removed from the bar it attaches to - in anticipation of getting that bar rechromed - but I haven't gotten around to removing the new seat cover. View attachment 822411 View attachment 822412

My apologies. I thought I saw a pin stripe on the fenders. That’s what I get looking on a phone. Great project and I hope you get it looking like new!

Good plating isn't cheap, and cheap plating isn't good.... Plus it sucks to mail your stuff. I always try to find the best one in the area, even if I have to drive a few hours. No chance of losing stuff in the mail. And it' is always best to talk to the people doing the plating in person.

Ed Manuel in Ohio. [email protected]. Or call 440-610-0071. I have been very pleased with his work and pricing. Chrome is very expensive in general, but I love restored bikes. I don't restore them to resell them. I do it to help preserve Shelby bicycle history and have nice items to pass down to my son. I understand saving original bikes that are still in nice shape, but feel there is a point where a bike is beyond "original" and needs saved.

Tim Newmeyer

Back