When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rechroming poll

-
Ed Manuel in Ohio. [email protected]. Or call 440-610-0071. I have been very pleased with his work and pricing. Chrome is very expensive in general, but I love restored bikes. I don't restore them to resell them. I do it to help preserve Shelby bicycle history and have nice items to pass down to my son. I understand saving original bikes that are still in nice shape, but feel there is a point where a bike is beyond "original" and needs saved.

Tim Newmeyer

Hi, Sorry for the delay in responding as my Father has needed some extra unplanned help this week and I just got back home - but already know next week will be just as busy with previously scheduled doc appointments. As soon as I get the chance I will also contact Ed, so thanks for your advice! Lary

I was browsing ebay for a tank for my bike and ran across this "Rechromed" Phantom tank, and I immediately thought of this thread, this tank is a prime example of a poor prep job and what a rechrome job will look like if a jack leg does the job, the surface was prepped poorly then rechromed, so you can see the pitting underneath, do your research sir, find a shop that you can drive to and see their work, or if you get a recommendation from a Caber that knows the person will prep and do a complete and awesome job, go with that person, just as anything goes, someone that is skilled at a trade and takes pride in what they do, their services are not cheap, remember you pay for what you get! Good luck with your bike

Aaron

P.S. if this tank belongs to someone on here, I'm sorry, I was only using it for educational purposes ;)

20180621_135136.jpg

20180621_135158.jpg

I was browsing ebay for a tank for my bike and ran across this "Rechromed" Phantom tank, and I immediately thought of this thread, this tank is a prime example of a poor prep job and what a rechrome job will look like if a jack leg does the job, the surface was prepped poorly then rechromed, so you can see the pitting underneath, do your research sir, find a shop that you can drive to and see their work, or if you get a recommendation from a Caber that knows the person will prep and do a complete and awesome job, go with that person, just as anything goes, someone that is skilled at a trade and takes pride in what they do, their services are not cheap, remember you pay for what you get! Good luck with your bike

Aaron

P.S. if this tank belongs to someone on here, I'm sorry, I was only using it for educational purposes ;)

View attachment 827184

View attachment 827185

Thank you for your advice. I'm about 40 miles west of Denver, so when I thought about re-chroming, I thought I could get it done somewhat locally and be able to check on them. Much to my chagrin, the places I called all recommended a place in Washington, which is a little farther away - ha. That place - according to the pics I've sent them - can do the work for maybe $1000 or more - plus shipping both ways. I love this bike for sentimental reasons but no matter how much I spend on it, it's never going to be worth more than couple of hundred to my heirs. Therefore, I'm just trying to justify in my own head what is the best course of action. The only place that is less than 100 miles away is a "chrome alternative" place - English translation - chrome paint - and I've had zero experience with that. Thanks again!

Got the chrome back today , 24 pieces $450 and it all looks beautiful. Quoted me 2 week turn around ended up 3 weeks due to trouble plating the headlight bezel, took a few try's to get it to plate properly. LM CHROME CORP. Santa Ana

View attachment 827831

View attachment 827832

View attachment 827833

View attachment 827834

View attachment 827835

Thank you, those do look great and for less than half of what I was quoted. In my case, the time factor isn't all that important but the quality of the re-chome is. I'll call them next week!

Proctor's is now called Kro Pro and I guarantee they can't beat LM prices. Disclaimer--I've never used LM but I have used Kro Pro (Protors) and what is shown above would be at least double of what LM charged. V/r Shawn

Proctor's is now called Kro Pro and I guarantee they can't beat LM prices. Disclaimer--I've never used LM but I have used Kro Pro (Protors) and what is shown above would be at least double of what LM charged. V/r Shawn
Thanks too! I'm waiting on a reply concerning tire size from a different thread - to make sure it's worth re-chroming these rims and not having to change to a different ISO tire/rim - but then I'll be ready to check out chromers. I did find a "local" - Golden, CO - media blasting shop where I could take my chrome parts and then have them blasted before I ship them and the other parts to be re-chromed. I really liked the earlier suggestion of getting a local chrome shop where I'd be able to "watch" but since that isn't possible, I think getting everything ready before sending it out would be the next best idea. That way I'd know how well the steel has been cleaned up.

Back