When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recognize this master link??

-

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
This chain is from a not-terribly-old Batavus Old Dutch. I'd like to take the chain off the frame for cleaning, oiling, etc. - but I can't. The other side of this master link is a solid plate - no slots. How do you get this apart? Thanks.

IMG_1007.jpg

This chain is from a not-terribly-old Batavus Old Dutch. I'd like to take the chain off the frame for cleaning, oiling, etc. - but I can't. The other side of this master link is a solid plate - no slots. How do you get this apart? Thanks.

View attachment 1812016
Should be the same as any other master link. Just flex the chain and pop it off with a small screwdriver. Maybe I'm missing something.

Yep...that sure looks like the link I have. But no amount of flexing, prying with a screwdriver (simply starts deforming the link plate, but nothing comes off the pins)...might have to break out the Dremel. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

-----

if master has you stumped remember you can always fire up ye olde chain rivet press tool...

-----

I got the master link off...and on, again. I used a combo of all the kind advice, I got here. I think it's a Shimano - "one time use only". Will it hold? Who knows? But for my purposes...this bike is a display bike. Thanks again, everyone!

Back