When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recognize this master link??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

guzziworksman

Finally riding a big boys bike
This chain is from a not-terribly-old Batavus Old Dutch. I'd like to take the chain off the frame for cleaning, oiling, etc. - but I can't. The other side of this master link is a solid plate - no slots. How do you get this apart? Thanks.

IMG_1007.jpg

This chain is from a not-terribly-old Batavus Old Dutch. I'd like to take the chain off the frame for cleaning, oiling, etc. - but I can't. The other side of this master link is a solid plate - no slots. How do you get this apart? Thanks.

View attachment 1812016
Should be the same as any other master link. Just flex the chain and pop it off with a small screwdriver. Maybe I'm missing something.

Yep...that sure looks like the link I have. But no amount of flexing, prying with a screwdriver (simply starts deforming the link plate, but nothing comes off the pins)...might have to break out the Dremel. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

-----

if master has you stumped remember you can always fire up ye olde chain rivet press tool...

-----

I got the master link off...and on, again. I used a combo of all the kind advice, I got here. I think it's a Shimano - "one time use only". Will it hold? Who knows? But for my purposes...this bike is a display bike. Thanks again, everyone!

Back