When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recommended bike racks for cars?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Kstone

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Its officially spring.... and eventually the weather will remember it should stop snowing sometime soon... So I'm trying to prepare for riding this summer. I'm hoping to be able to travel to some better riding spots.

Unfortunately for me, in my last car upgrade, I was still trying to keep gas affordable..
Well, long story short, I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TRUCK.

I would love some recommendations on bike racks if anyone has some. I'm thinking up to $200.
My trouble thus far is finding one that doesn't have people commenting that the rack fell off while driving. Y'know, the simple stuff like a product actually doing its job.

-It can be for one, two, or three bikes. I'd rather have an industrial bear of a rack that fits one bike well rather than fitting three mediocrily.
-It must be a trunk mount. Getting a hitch put on is not ideal and the whole, roof rack thing makes me picture myself breaking my neck and pride trying to maneuver it.
-The weight it is rated to is a factor which is causing me the biggest issue....I'll be primarily moving my middle weight around, but she's kind of a beast and nearly drags me to my death taking her down my apartment stairs... So I'm thinking 50-60lbs is safe?

Something like this seems reasonable and decently made, but at 35 lbs of a weight limit per bike, I feel like I'd be asking for trouble.
https://www.etrailer.com/Trunk-Bike-Racks/Thule/TH910XT.html
Screenshot_20170322-143939.png

I'd love any and all help you guys can give me!

The Allen 4 or 5 bike rack... takes a receiver hitch tho-
Love mine, even tilts away to get in your rear window, maybe entire door.
I paid like $115 shipped or less.

I wouldn't want to trust too much weight to a trunk rack. Maybe it was the one I had, but I never liked moving my 35 lbs. hybrid any distance. I got a hitch rack that I like a lot better (and easier loading). Wanting to keep mine hidden above the goofy center exhaust on my car necessitated a 1 1/4" but I'd get a 2" if I could. That said, this works well. I use the diagonal straps just to keep the bikes from annoyingly pivoting a little at the hitch on turns. That bike on the back is just under 38 lbs and I'm pretty sure it could hold another of similar weight without issue. FWIW, I believe the rating is 150.

upload_2017-3-22_18-58-34.png

I installed a receiver on my Prius. It cost $99 amazon prime and I use a Thule 5 bike carrier. I don't put five bikes on it however. This is a very quick and easy way to put the rack on and off the car and the bikes on and off the rack. The trunk mount set up is a bit more time consuming to use however will work :)
I also tow a trailer with the Prius. It works so good I sold my gas guzzler truck.

Thule rack
ca4376f3375ef6efd5f1c2a3254893de.jpg

6f6539524cbb61231752c3c43ebbbd17.jpg

Here is the trailer behind my Prius. Not a great shot but it's what I have :)
2b05bf6767d9b75a945099afcb559553.jpg

Daaaaaang! Go Prius go! I do miss my Prius from time to time, especially after seeing those shots! But shes a cube in car heaven somewhere.

I'm trying to get quotes for hitches. Seems like I'm getting prices in the high 100s-200s. I'm definitely not able to spend that kinda dough readily...But I guess if it makes everything safer and I don't want to be stuck in my little town...It's something I have to do....

I was reading that it was fairly simple to install your hitch yourself. I'm pretty handy but that's something I'd hate to do wrong... does anyone have experience doing it on their own?

I wouldn't want to trust too much weight to a trunk rack. Maybe it was the one I had, but I never liked moving my 35 lbs. hybrid any distance. I got a hitch rack that I like a lot better (and easier loading). Wanting to keep mine hidden above the goofy center exhaust on my car necessitated a 1 1/4" but I'd get a 2" if I could. That said, this works well. I use the diagonal straps just to keep the bikes from annoyingly pivoting a little at the hitch on turns. That bike on the back is just under 38 lbs and I'm pretty sure it could hold another of similar weight without issue. FWIW, I believe the rating is 150.

View attachment 439745

This is the coolest bike I have ever seen. I don't remember where I first saw it, but I was beyond amazed and in love with it! How is it as light as it is?

I often put a bike in the trunk of a small 1999 Mazda Protege (aka TBCE :p) and other 4-door sedans that I've rented: fold the seats forward, remove the handlebars and sometimes pedals (can make it easier), the bike noses right in.
Don't forget the 1/2" socket and pedal wrench :cool:
If you only want to transport 1 bike this could save some time and $
White Lightning on the chain makes handling more pleasant ;)

IMG_5702.JPG
IMG_5704.JPG

Back