When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recovering my 1st saddle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I'm rounding up the finishing touches on my Sears collegiate, and I'm about to redo my first, double pan, saddle. After some research on here, I went to JoAnn's Fabrics and got 1/2" Airtex brand High-Density Foam. According to the website, the company claims the foam is good for outdoor applications. However, the foam isn't extremely firm like memory foam. It feels softer, and even though I understand 1/2" thickness is standard for seat recovering, I am curious if others have had success with 1". This bicycle is meant to be a good rider, so I wouldn't mind sacrificing authenticity with comfort. I just don't want the seat to look like s**t.

I already have one layer glued to the seat pan. I'm consider whether or not I can add another layer, and compress the foam by pulling the leather over the foam as tight as possible, making it shape the best to the seat pan and possibly shrink the overall thickness to somewhere around 3/4". Has anyone else used 1" foam? I so, can you post your seat?

Additionally, here is a photo of the pan as it sits. Does someone have a photo of how the foam is suppost to be shaped to the seat? Keep in mind I have already seen bunchobikes' tutorial. Thanks

View attachment 836401

Please ignore the messy workbench :)

A messy workbench is a sign of a genius
Great recovery job

Back