When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recycled ’53 Panther - The Blue Bomb

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mbstude

Finally riding a big boys bike
A few years back I built up an early postwar DX with a 7 speed rear, and sold it like a dummy. Not too long ago I started itching for that bike again so I made a post here in hopes of finding the “right” frame to build.

Pantmaker reached out and offered up a blue ‘53 Panther frame and fork set that had seen better days. Tons of scratches, scrapes, surface rust, and chrome that was beyond making shiny again. It was the right color, had the right level of crappiness to the paint, and was a blank canvas to build from. It was perfect. And he was a real pleasure to do business with which made me like the forlorn old Schwinn even more.

Over the last couple of weekends it’s taken shape. 7 speed hub and Fat Franks. Brooks Cambium saddle (use them on all my bikes). Two piece Schwinn adjustable stem. I found the clamp on rim brakes on the Cabe as well, they were so corroded that I ended up stripping them and zinc coating the pieces and replacing the hardware. Stainless wound cable housings, just because I like the look. And a Phantom sprocket for those high speed runs.

So anyway, that’s about it. Just a stripped down, dirt simple rider. I got into early Schwinn lightweights a few years ago and completely forgot how nice the springer balloon tire bikes are to ride. All of my bikes are my favorite but this one is a little more favorite than the others right now.

5a9a1f8abbd69db4092fc22041331ced.jpg

5f5db6d89292a6e4c6821daad98e391a.jpg

d0a356ac5864b106b812ebb54e72d8e4.jpg

9a6b14a5df1940e355ae5d4727a03792.jpg

9d37f1f1d549a71b1c463141c28f075b.jpg

Last edited:
Best thing about the brakes, they work! Haha

I purposely tried to scratch the zinc plating when I installed them. Maybe they’ll “age” a bit and match the rest of the bike at some point.

0661dfa1eb09544465ac6d18752dec1a.jpg

Back