When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red washed Schwinn DX help ...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Marc's Classic Chrome

Finally riding a big boys bike
IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0666.JPG
I picked this up from a buddy. He kind of help me for ransom because he knows I wanted to try and remove bucket or spray paint from a good frame. Well, here it is. I have researched this paint removal concept with a lot of different reactions. Some say oven cleaner while others say paint thinner and other related processes. I really want to know what is under this red wash and bring that back without damaging the paint below. Does anyone have any advice or pitfalls they found? Is this truly possible or more of a lab old wives tale so to speak. I would love to hear what you think!

I will first and foremost admit I have the least experience on here... But I will share what I have.

As far as house paint goes, I've had success with Goo gone. However, a friend of mine says he can't get it to do a thing. But it's not going to really harm anything so I say give it a go.

I use a lot and let it soak in. I reapply it constantly. I recommend a flathead screw driver. Not to go over and gouge the whole thing, but i pick a discreet spot and spin the edge of the screw driver until I dig about a pencil lead sized hole through the top layer of paint. Then the goo gone will soak up under it for a few minutes. If it goes the way it's been working for me, the goo gone seeps in and breaks that bond of the house paint. I then very delicately with the flathead scrape the layers off. Literally I probably get an inch an hour. It gets easier if you soak overnight too. Usually there are two layers, the top latex layer, and whatever pigment on the bottom.. The latex peels off easiest first, and the pigment needs some more gentle pressure to rub it off.

Attached is a photo of the white house paint im trying to remove. The bare metal was there to start with, so don't think this process caused it.
You can see the house paint, the pigment, and then the original paint.

That being said, I've seen some stunning revival jobs on here that may be waaaaay faster and better than this...but this is my two cents.

IMG_20170518_234029630.jpg

If it is spray paint (it looks pretty smooth for being brushed), you can try Acetone. You need to work in good ventilation and wear protective gloves. Work small areas at a time so it doesn't go too deep and take off the original paint.

If it is spray paint (it looks pretty smooth for being brushed), you can try Acetone. You need to work in good ventilation and wear protective gloves. Work small areas at a time so it doesn't go too deep and take off the original paint.
You are right I am sure it is sprayed on.

From what I can see in the pictures, someone really gave that bike a heavy/thick dose of spray paint that will undoubtedly take some doing to remove while saving the original paint. Goof Off seems to be the preferred choice here although it hasn't worked for me when trying to remove enamel off of the machines I deal with at work. Lots of variables like the type of paint, how old it is, thickness and how well the bike was prepared for it's glorious new rattle can paint job. Do a search here for removing paint, goof off etc.. There's lots of input on the subject.

Back