When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Whitewalls

-

Yes...I thought about that !

But this is the only place overseas that I have ordered.
ogglshpng-1.jpg

I play tennis & this place has vintage tennis clothes. So I took a
chance & ordered with no problem...but ordering overseas or Canada
I've read stories of lost parts, high shipping costs once it gets to the US
or if it ever gets shipped at all. So I was a bit hesitant on ordering from
another country.
But I could be wrong !

Have you ever ordered from over there ?

Last edited:
Do you have them on your bicycles for show only ?

If not, what's the best way to store them ?

I have a pair of original Schwinn tires & tubes (USA) & are still useable
but I want to keep them looking nice .

Thanks

....a cool and dark place is best.

....a cool and dark place is best.

Bri...I have you listed in the category in this forum as "my friend"

But...sometimes...I'm not sure when you are kidding or not !

If you're not kidding me...then Thanks ! :cool:

I wants to see more pix of these tires and the different colors!...didn't Firestone have a red tread black wall? Or was it a black tread red wall?

Do you have them on your bicycles for show only ?

If not, what's the best way to store them ?

I have a pair of original Schwinn tires & tubes (USA) & are still useable
but I want to keep them looking nice .

Thanks

I don't know how best to store them, I have them on their sides lying down with a semi inflated innertube inside them to keep the shape right.

I also have a set of useable black with redwall tires which came stock on the second run of Hextubes - late '47-'48 I believe. They are on my hex and rideable, in good condition.

I yam yer friend.
Ozone and light are the biggest killers of rubber.

White (or close to it) is the natural color of rubber. Graphite is added to make it wear better (black). Red (terra cotta color) was added earlier to help do the same thing, but upon aging red rubber breaks down much faster than graphite rubbers and more or less "melts". I forgot what was added to cause the terra cotta color.

I yam yer friend.
Ozone and light are the biggest killers of rubber.

White (or close to it) is the natural color of rubber. Graphite is added to make it wear better (black). Red (terra cotta color) was added earlier to help do the same thing, but upon aging red rubber breaks down much faster than graphite rubbers and more or less "melts". I forgot what was added to cause the terra cotta color.

Thanks Pal !

I recall reading something about the natural color of rubber being like that !

Good to hear from you ! ;)

The U.S. Royal chain treads are prewar tires. Then the name changed to Uniroyal after the war.

Let's continue this thread with pictures of rare colores tires. I think that is a great idea. Thanks to ohdeebee for posting the picture of the redwall Allstates. Very rare indeed. Even as a wall hanger since they cannot be ridden on.

Actually one of the best medium-sized bicycle tires on the market today is red clay and gum in color: the Grand Bois Hetre Red

hetre.jpg

I've seen them in 650b, but I haven't seen them in other sizes. Perhaps they are marketing them outside the US in other sizes?

Goodyear All Weather ww/red tread

These are on my 41 Ranger Champion. They are pretty cool tires, sorry for crappy pics. Maybe I'll pull it down tomorrow and photograph it outside.
20130723_220235.jpg

Attachments

• 20130723_220114.jpg
    20130723_220114.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 37
Back