Reflective Tape Ugh!

This ad disappears when logged in

Monark Owner

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 7, 2016
New York
21BDFA70-1615-4282-BCF6-DA30BF594324.jpeg

I just came by this Roadmaster in very nice condition. Unfortunately, someone has applied reflective tape many years ago on the tank and fenders. I have read some threads on removing such tape, such as a hair dryer/heat gun, and chemical removers such as for decals. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried hot/boiling water? I think it would not harm the paint, and would likely loosen the adhesive.
The bike has otherwise retained much of its original paint, and there is minimal rust. I would what ever necessary to remove this unsightly tape, and not harm the underlying paint.
Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read.
21BDFA70-1615-4282-BCF6-DA30BF594324.jpeg

6E956CAF-1853-4388-858A-65AB0DA1E729.jpeg

Monark Owner

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 7, 2016
New York
I guess I will try Goo gone first I guess, than the boiling water. I am a little afraid of the heat gun damaging the paint, but will go that route if all else fails. Local hardware store has Goo gone.

CWCMAN

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Mar 2, 2014
Sunny Southern California
I’ve removed reflective tape from an original paint bike and the heat gun is the best way to go.
Heat it up until the material starts to soften up. I used a plastic putty knife to scrape it off while it was hot. Repeat as needed.

It won’t harm the paint but heat and scrape in increments.

mpdoan2

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Jul 31, 2019
Moravia, NY
Good call. I had some tubular tire glue I could not get off for the life of me. The goo gone took it right off. Same with other stuff I thought I’d never get off.

schwinnbikebobb

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Jan 8, 2011
Central Ohio
Listen to the boys! Heat gun and I use a plastic copy of a single edged razor blade ( Harbor Freight) You are not trying to burn it off and do small sections at a time. Don't try and do the whole piece of tape with one heating. Heat, scrape a couple inch section and move on. Take your time and you will be happy. You still will need Goo Gone for the glue residue still there.

Freqman1

Riding a '37 Dayton Super Streamline
Jul 14, 2009
Evans, GA
Yep Goo Gone just for the residue. Personally I like lacquer thinner best. Goo Gone ain’t gonna faze those if they’ve been on there a while. V/r Shawn

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
View attachment 1058608

I just came by this Roadmaster in very nice condition. Unfortunately, someone has applied reflective tape many years ago on the tank and fenders. I have read some threads on removing such tape, such as a hair dryer/heat gun, and chemical removers such as for decals. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried hot/boiling water? I think it would not harm the paint, and would likely loosen the adhesive.
The bike has otherwise retained much of its original paint, and there is minimal rust. I would what ever necessary to remove this unsightly tape, and not harm the underlying paint.
Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read.
View attachment 1058608

View attachment 1058607
Hair dryer has always worked great for me. Peals right off.

Monark Owner

'Lil Knee Scuffer
Oct 7, 2016
New York
“listen to the boys “ says Schwinnbikebob, and that’s what I did. Armed with a heat gun, plastic putty knife, and Goo Gone, I was able to remove all of the reflective tape, while leaving the underlying finish intact. Thank you very much to those who responded with advice, it was very helpful to say the least.
6C88B321-B808-4390-977D-8AEF240B0183.jpeg

kasper

Finally riding a big boys bike
Apr 12, 2017
Brooklyn, United States
I dont like goo gone if you have screens or water slides goo gone will wipe them away if not extremely careful I always go with the heat gun start slowly and work at it.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture