When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reflective Tape Ugh!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
View attachment 1058608

I just came by this Roadmaster in very nice condition. Unfortunately, someone has applied reflective tape many years ago on the tank and fenders. I have read some threads on removing such tape, such as a hair dryer/heat gun, and chemical removers such as for decals. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried hot/boiling water? I think it would not harm the paint, and would likely loosen the adhesive.
The bike has otherwise retained much of its original paint, and there is minimal rust. I would what ever necessary to remove this unsightly tape, and not harm the underlying paint.
Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read.
View attachment 1058608

View attachment 1058607
Hair dryer has always worked great for me. Peals right off.

“listen to the boys “ says Schwinnbikebob, and that’s what I did. Armed with a heat gun, plastic putty knife, and Goo Gone, I was able to remove all of the reflective tape, while leaving the underlying finish intact. Thank you very much to those who responded with advice, it was very helpful to say the least.
6C88B321-B808-4390-977D-8AEF240B0183.jpeg

I dont like goo gone if you have screens or water slides goo gone will wipe them away if not extremely careful I always go with the heat gun start slowly and work at it.

Back