When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reflective Tape Ugh!

-

Monark Owner

'Lil Knee Scuffer
21BDFA70-1615-4282-BCF6-DA30BF594324.jpeg

I just came by this Roadmaster in very nice condition. Unfortunately, someone has applied reflective tape many years ago on the tank and fenders. I have read some threads on removing such tape, such as a hair dryer/heat gun, and chemical removers such as for decals. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried hot/boiling water? I think it would not harm the paint, and would likely loosen the adhesive.
The bike has otherwise retained much of its original paint, and there is minimal rust. I would what ever necessary to remove this unsightly tape, and not harm the underlying paint.
Any advice would be appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read.
21BDFA70-1615-4282-BCF6-DA30BF594324.jpeg

6E956CAF-1853-4388-858A-65AB0DA1E729.jpeg

I guess I will try Goo gone first I guess, than the boiling water. I am a little afraid of the heat gun damaging the paint, but will go that route if all else fails. Local hardware store has Goo gone.

I’ve removed reflective tape from an original paint bike and the heat gun is the best way to go.
Heat it up until the material starts to soften up. I used a plastic putty knife to scrape it off while it was hot. Repeat as needed.

It won’t harm the paint but heat and scrape in increments.

Good call. I had some tubular tire glue I could not get off for the life of me. The goo gone took it right off. Same with other stuff I thought I’d never get off.

Listen to the boys! Heat gun and I use a plastic copy of a single edged razor blade ( Harbor Freight) You are not trying to burn it off and do small sections at a time. Don't try and do the whole piece of tape with one heating. Heat, scrape a couple inch section and move on. Take your time and you will be happy. You still will need Goo Gone for the glue residue still there.

Yep Goo Gone just for the residue. Personally I like lacquer thinner best. Goo Gone ain’t gonna faze those if they’ve been on there a while. V/r Shawn

Back