When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reflector question

-

1817cent

Riding my 41 Super Deluxe Autocycle
I have this insert for the Schwinn 1 1/2 inch reflector that has what looks like 1943 on the inside. Is that a year of manufacture or something else? Thanks!

20220317_130010.jpg

20220317_130024.jpg

Cool piece. I'd have to say that was when that particular reflective pattern was made and used. Remember when car lenses were marked with a year, like SAE 58. I have some 60's bike reflectors that are dated with the years.
The first patent for a device called a reflector was granted in 1925 to Jonathan C Stimson, and he had markings on just about everything he made.

The 1943 is interesting. Like GT mentioned, we used to look at taillights to figure out the year of a vehicle which was 2 digits. They changed designs about every year though back in those days. Seems overkill that they would stamp a bicycle reflector differently every year. Will be interesting to hear what others say...

The 1943 is interesting. Like GT mentioned, we used to look at taillights to figure out the year of a vehicle which was 2 digits. They changed designs about every year though back in those days. Seems overkill that they would stamp a bicycle reflector differently every year. Will be interesting to hear what others say...
From what I've seen, they changed the year when the reflector changed. I have 1-3/4" reflectors that have sae 60, sae 62 and 63. I think 63 is when it went to a 6 pie. Forgot what the other two years were, but they were later. My 58 Corvette rear lenses are dated 58 and these were first used in 58 and then thru the 1960 model year, they all had 58 on them.

Back