When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reissue - Genuine Seamless Tubing Decal?

-
...Unless it's a peel and stick and peel and restick sticker.
I’ve been using their stickers as I find water slide decals to be a pain in the ass and not as durable.

Velocal offers different weights of sticker as well as UV protective layers on top. I’ve found them to be very tough and scratch resistant while looking a thin as a water slide decal once in place. They really are as nice as factory labels.

But, using them “dry” you only get one shot at them as the adhesive is pretty aggressive, once you place it you are done.

you can wet them and the application spot with a bit of water with a drop of soap in it so you can play with the placement like a water slide decal, you then squeegee the water out, but I think its easier to just stick them on. One of the guys I used to work with built electronic control panels and would print the entire face as one large sticker, sometimes close to 2x2 feet in size and he always floated them unto position on some water with a drop of soap in it. Not for the feint of heart!

I’ve been using their stickers as I find water slide decals to be a pain in the ass and not as durable.

Velocal offers different weights of sticker as well as UV protective layers on top. I’ve found them to be very tough and scratch resistant while looking a thin as a water slide decal once in place. They really are as nice as factory labels.

But, using them “dry” you only get one shot at them as the adhesive is pretty aggressive, once you place it you are done.

you can wet them and the application spot with a bit of water with a drop of soap in it so you can play with the placement like a water slide decal, you then squeegee the water out, but I think its easier to just stick them on. One of the guys I used to work with built electronic control panels and would print the entire face as one large sticker, sometimes close to 2x2 feet in size and he always floated them unto position on some water with a drop of soap in it. Not for the feint of heart!

View attachment 1697402
Some decals are not meant to be used on older bikes. If you want to keep your bike period correct that is. Water slides are only a pain to apply if they are long and narrow. Overal they are way more luxurious than thick and cheap vinyl. I worry more about the graphics if you ask me.

Some decals are not meant to be used on older bikes. If you want to keep your bike period correct that is. Water slides are only a pain to apply if they are long and narrow. Overal they are way more luxurious than thick and cheap vinyl. I worry more about the graphics if you ask me.
Absolutely, I am in total agreement. In my case I’m cleaning up the looks of some very nice machines quite literally saved from the scrap heap ( what the hell is wrong with people ) so I’m less concerned with perfection than I am with making the bikes look better, and reasonably correct, while not breaking the bank.

on my Italian bike the original decals were in pretty good shape so I’ve only replaced the few that were toast with the same and then added a few Campagnolo decals to conveniently cover some rather nasty paint damage.

in the case of my Japanese tourer, all of the original labels had been removed in the past so I created my own look by picking and choosing make and model correct decals for that bike which cover quite a few model years. I get a bike I like and only a few would know its not correct.

if either of these two bikes were ever to get refinished I’d go the complete correct label set but as they are both heavily “patinated” survivors of years of use I’m happy with what I have.

A good water slide looks more appropriate than a good vinyl, but a good vinyl is better than a bad waterslide that rips. A bad quality vinyl looks like a child's sticker and is worse than no decal at all.

H. Lloyd's makes good vinyl decals and recommends wetting the surface of the frame to allow positioning of the decal. I clean the surface with a little alcohol and apply dry. I "test" the placement by tacking just the smallest edge area of the decal to a chosen spot, and seeing if that aligns with what I want. If not, it can still be removed and re-tacked to a new spot. Once I have it tacked in the right spot, I press the decal into place, smoothing out any bubbles. This works well for most vinyl decals, but the long, thin ones are still challenging.

Gus, do you make a waterslide version of the "Genuine Seamless" Schwinn decal?

Back