When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relacing wheels

-

Bikehaus

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey all!
So I am perplexed. I unthreaded a spoke from my '46 Roadmaster wheels and it measured at 270mm. Here I am relacing the wheels, I am at the end of my nipple with a 1000 miles of play. Could the spokes have been so damaged they were stretched? Some fell apart in m y fingers. Anyone familiar with the necesary spoke length on thos 26" rims?

10+5/8” or 270mm sounds about right.

If the length works out to be excessive, then perhaps the wrong holes (i.e., closer ones) at the hub were used. For a so called 4-cross over configuration, I believe that the 1st and 10th holes on an 18-hole hub flange would be used for spokes just 2 holes apart at the rim.

Last edited:
Hey all!
So I am perplexed. I unthreaded a spoke from my '46 Roadmaster wheels and it measured at 270mm. Here I am relacing the wheels, I am at the end of my nipple with a 1000 miles of play. Could the spokes have been so damaged they were stretched? Some fell apart in m y fingers. Anyone familiar with the necesary spoke length on thos 26" rims?
If you removed one spoke it should be self explanatory. If you removed more then one, you should match the cross pattern of what spokes you have left. If you have completely re laced it and still have play you have to make sure that when you start the cross lacing that you have the hub rotated as far as you can. It takes some wiggiling and time to make sure the nipples are not hung up on the rim. Make sure all nipples are through the rim when you start cross lacing.

It's all good... I was right on the length, it was 4 across, not 3 across... all laced and good to go
This story not only has a happy ending, but it also has a moral, i.e., check the lacing pattern. Could we see a picture of that Roadmaster?

This story not only has a happy ending, but it also has a moral, i.e., check the lacing pattern. Could we see a picture of that Roadmaster?
It is still in the process of being rebuilt... I will post them as soon as it is done

Back