When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Relative newby needs help navigating skip/block chain options available....

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

37ccmflyte

Finally riding a big boys bike
I need some help navigating the world of block and skip chains please.... I have a number of questions that are hard to google or search for on here (I have done both already).
I have a 1937 CCM Flyte I am making into a racer style.
I am thinking of fitting it with (in an ideal world) and newly made skip tooth chain wheel and either a genuine skip tooth rear sprocket or a normal on with every second tooth removed. Thinking 32 to 11 ratio.
The chain is where I get well out of my depth.....
The bike will get little use so I will not need a chain in great condition.

So my questions are.
1 What are my chances of even finding block chain for sale second hand?
2. What is a realistic price to pay for a well used block chain?
3. Will I get one long enough, if not I will have to buy two?
4. Is it unrealistic to look for the block chain and should I just go for a skip chain??
5. If it's skip chain and I need two, whats a common one to look for?

Help to understand whats around would be great Thanks.
Gavin

I have done some rough calculations based on counting the links in pictures of Flytes (mine are not to hand) and the standard chain is 112 links but the look of it... adding in my larger sprockets would take it to 121 links at half inch or 60/61 inch links... longer than most I would think? So I might need two chains to make one or one and a bit!

Edit..... looks like I could get a tandem chain long enough if I kept looking..... I will keep looking for the block chain I think. No rush.

Last edited:
Skip tooth chains have a different roller size which changes the diameter of the sprocket. For my Cleveland i bought an Ichy rear sprocket then had it machined because it comes square cut and not tapered.

I have a CCM logo front chainring that has a skip tooth sprocket welded to it. Its kinda ugly but it could help you with your project because it will just bolt on.

Back