When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

remember the utter POS stingray thread?

-
This is what I think goes on (in the bike world). Most all CABE members have incredible knowledge of bikes that the average person (average bike lover) doesn't have.
Fifty years ago "Bobby" missed out on getting the bike he wanted for Christmas.
Now the fellow here selling "the pos bike" was being honest. The Bobbys of the world don't know any better, they now have money and can have what they missed as a kid.
Clones and reproductions are ok as long as the buyer is made aware what it is, lack of quality and value.
I know more about old cars than bikes. In my 20s I used to street race and had a '69 Hurst SC/Rambler that I rolled end over end in a race (I was stupid). It was the "A" scheme, then in mid 70s I bought a "B" (rarer 500) one I still have it. It was a $1,200 car then, not worth it to clone. Now there are clones and you really have to know what to look for to know "the real McCoy".
As time goes on, lots of bikes are going up in price. At some point they start being cloned...and that's where you need an expert opinion. Sadly, the clones get better all the time.
I'd love other's thoughts on this, but I'm thinking sellers ought to be told (for honesty, transparency,etc.) in description what was paid for item and/or valuation.View attachment 1002067View attachment 1002068

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk
Nice! I had a big bad green 69 Javelin that I put a super T 10 and hurst shifter out of a S/C Rambler Scrambler, I also put disk brakes out of one on it to. Sold it years ago and have NEVER forgiven myself. I still dream about that car on a regular basis. The guy I sold it to still has it. One of these day's when my number comes in, I'll do my best to buy it back (IF I can get him to sell it back to me. That car is the only thing that kept me sane ish when I was in the Marines in the early 70's.

images.jpeg.jpg

ebay602233.jpg

images.jpeg.jpg

Dang, I miss this car!

This is my wife and I with good friend Herman Lewis (rip) 69 SS AMX, I had a 68 SS-B Javelin.
46c7b4efda5931f7695f85c1b4a40eec.jpg

I always liked those Rambler Americans of the 60’s. Simple clean styling. Yours really cool! A guy from work is putting an LS1 and 4 link into one
Don't you or your friend know you just make it worth less when you put a LUMP O' poop IN AN AMC IT JUST MAKES IT WORSE Than if you should put in a Mopar crate motor motor in it? IDIOTS!!!!

Amen! Hear! Hear!
Wife and I collect old cars. She's always loved Pontiac, so her Firebirds and GTO are 100% Pontiac. My Ramblers are 100%. Our Mustangs...all Ford, Chevys all Chevy.
This is the CABE! I'm sure every collector wants to keep their old bike original as possible. And there are some really nice bikes here!
At any bike or car show I gravitate towards originality.

This is what I think goes on (in the bike world). Most all CABE members have incredible knowledge of bikes that the average person (average bike lover) doesn't have.
Fifty years ago "Bobby" missed out on getting the bike he wanted for Christmas.
Now the fellow here selling "the pos bike" was being honest. The Bobbys of the world don't know any better, they now have money and can have what they missed as a kid.
Clones and reproductions are ok as long as the buyer is made aware what it is, lack of quality and value.
I know more about old cars than bikes. In my 20s I used to street race and had a '69 Hurst SC/Rambler that I rolled end over end in a race (I was stupid). It was the "A" scheme, then in mid 70s I bought a "B" (rarer 500) one I still have it. It was a $1,200 car then, not worth it to clone. Now there are clones and you really have to know what to look for to know "the real McCoy".
As time goes on, lots of bikes are going up in price. At some point they start being cloned...and that's where you need an expert opinion. Sadly, the clones get better all the time.
I'd love other's thoughts on this, but I'm thinking sellers ought to be told (for honesty, transparency,etc.) in description what was paid for item and/or valuation.View attachment 1002067View attachment 1002068

My folks had a Rambler something 660 and tried to trade it for a Toyota then got the Rambler back. We went to a BMW (Brown Matador Wagon) after that when the family grew to four kids.

Oddly enough, if you liked AMCs it seems like you'd also be a Mopar fan, at least Dart/Valiant and Satellite.

My folks had a Rambler something 660 and tried to trade it for a Toyota then got the Rambler back. We went to a BMW (Brown Matador Wagon) after that when the family grew to four kids.

Oddly enough, if you liked AMCs it seems like you'd also be a Mopar fan, at least Dart/Valiant and Satellite.
They had a Rambler Classic. American 220,330,440...Classic550,660,770...Ambassador880,990. Dad had a '64 Ambassador 990, 327 V8 (Rambler mid-block...nothing similar to Chevy 327 small block).
Before that (it's a very long story) he had the 64 Rambler Tarpon prototype, also 327, 4 spd. Much information online about Rambler is incorrect.
I have a 74 Matador Oleg Cassini Black/Black (copper trim).
I also have a 66 Rogue convertible 290 4 spd...1 of 1.

Back