When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing cable housing from overload tube

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Any suggestions? I guess I could drill it out as a worse case...

FFA4B38E-E99E-4AA0-9BAF-84DC771D9B32.jpeg

I was always curious... what is the purpose of the overload tube? I realize that it was stock on the stingray shifters, but in many cases this tube is missing and not even necessary (the cable housing fits right into the shifter mechanism). While all my krates/stingrays have them, I never understood its purpose.
Thanks,
Ken

I've heard that it takes a lot of the force off the cable and shifter assembly (which affords a lot of leverage). Inside it's just a big spring to absorb the force. So all those 10 years olds jamming the lever didn't break anything!

I mostly care about correct looks and stock. If I didn't have one I'd source one, even though they're trading hands in the $50 neighborhood, cause the bikes look incorrect with it missing.

Now, I did not use an overload tube on a 3 speed shifter, and used that shifter on a 5 speed. It ended up breaking a plastic piece inside the shifter that is normally metal for 5 speeds. I am not sure if the overload tube would have saved that little plastic piece or not. As I recall, the overload tube would have went directly into that plastic piece. Note: the broken piece I am a referring to is shown in your picture. It is the rusted round piece the cable goes through and is attached to the end of the overload tube. This is plastic in the 3 speed shifter.

Back