When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Elgin (Musselman?) rear gear?

-

mickeyc

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Got the outer ring off (right hand thread, righty loosey) and it looks like the gear is threaded too but I tried loosening it but afraid to clamp the piece it's attached to too tightly, afraid of messing it up. Any suggestions?

ring gear.jpg

I think the gear comes off by turning it to the left, counterclockwise which means right hand thread. This would make sense because as you pedal it would tend to tighten up, not come loose. A standard right hand nut goes on by turning it to the right, clockwise. A left hand nut goes on by turning it to the left, counterclockwise. I'm about to take mine apart so I'll post here later to let you know if I got it off and how I did it.

To remove the cog, you would likely need to dis assemble the hub.
There is a tool designed to grab the driver in a vice to secure it.
The tool basically looks like a large nut with a slice through it.
The tool threads mate with those on the driver and when locked in the vice, no damage to threads.

The proper tool to spin the cog off would be either a chain whip or a hook type spanner designed for same.

The cap is reverse thread; the COG is regular direction.
Take the cap "Loose" but not off. Reverse.
Remove the pedal and use a breaker bar on the crank to "Brake" the cog free "Backwards"
On the bike; with the chain and crank that tightened it up all these years.
This was explained to me but I have not tried it yet.

Ditto on the above,The sprocket is R/H thread,the lock nut/ring is L/H thread,you must have turned it C/W to get it off. Turn the sprocket CC/W and it will spin off. Hold the axle (on the opposite side of the hub) in a vise with softjaws. Hold the sprocket with a rag and it should come off without too much trouble

To remove the cog, you would likely need to dis assemble the hub.
There is a tool designed to grab the driver in a vice to secure it.
The tool basically looks like a large nut with a slice through it.
The tool threads mate with those on the driver and when locked in the vice, no damage to threads.
The proper tool to spin the cog off would be either a chain whip or a hook type spanner designed for same.

This tool is something that you can make at home. All you need is a brake clutch from an extra hub assembly. I made a couple of these for ND hubs. The apex gears for the Musselman are close enough to ND to use this tool, but why not make one?

The cap is reverse thread; the COG is regular direction.
Take the cap "Loose" but not off. Reverse.
Remove the pedal and use a breaker bar on the crank to "Brake" the cog free "Backwards"
On the bike; with the chain and crank that tightened it up all these years.
This was explained to me but I have not tried it yet.
This method requires you lace up the hub and install in the bike with a chain in place. Works great.

Back