When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing grips without destroying them.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These are all good ideas. The one addition I can make is to the "small screwdriver" method. Instead of a screwdriver, I use a cutoff from a cable tie. It's just over 1/4" wide and has enough stiffness to work it under a grip, but it won't scratch the handlebar or tear the grip. The process is to work it under as far as it will go, squirt in some water, work it around side-to-side and forward, give the grip a twist, and repeat. This can also be combined with the "hairdryer/heatgun" method, when necessary. Have fun!

View attachment 1652951
Can I clarify exactly how you apply the hairdryer/heatgun in this case?

Find an open end wrench that fits snug over the bars. Slide it over the bar and against the edge of the grip and then hammer the grip off hitting the side of the wrench. If you can heat it first in water like Brant suggested it will work even better.

I've also had good success with compressed air under the edge while twisting and pulling.
This has worked 100% of the times I've removed grips with no mess, no damage and no drama.

Back