When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Handlebar From Gooseneck Stem

-

ridingtoy

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I'm attempting to remove a handlebar from the gooseneck and want to know what's a safe distance to spread the forged clamp part of the stem. My fear is that the metal will crack before it's open far enough to slide the bar through. I've opened it enough so that the bar wiggles a little, but it seems to need more spreading to free the bar. How far do I dare go with spreading the clamp piece? Thanks for the guidance!

Dave

You shouldn't need to spread it very far. Just remove one of the grips and slide out. Thats how I've always done it. Taught myself that method.

Do you usually apply some lubricant first to help the bar along? It's a fairly pitted bar and still seems to be hung up in the clamp though it will wiggle, but not enough to start sliding through. It's to the Colson Imperial tricycle in my avatar photo, so I don't want to overdo it and snap the clamp...it will be a hard stem to find an exact replacement for being smaller in size. Thanks for the comments!

Dave

I've found that you only need to spreed it for enough to get the handlebar out. LOL

Just being funny
Brooks

Just wiggle it up and down while pushing.. hm.. that doesn't sound wholesome.. but once you get the center section of the bars out it'll be free. If not, pry just a little bit with a screwdriver on the nose; it shouldn't take much.

You could spray a bit of DW40 and let it sit for a while. Have someone use a large flat head screwdriver to pry it open just enough to for you wiggle the bars out. Simple but perplexing when you're working on something irreplaceable.

Luck to you...go easy.

Mr D

Back