When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing original license place strap

-

Crazy Nick

Look Ma, No Hands!
 !966 .jpeg

!966  copy.jpeg

I found this original 1966 Deluxe Stingray a while back. I thinks it's cool that it has the original license but I'm used to seeing them installed behind the seat post.
Does anyone know how to safely remove the license plate straps without damaging so I can re-install ?

Last edited:
I would just cut the strap near the buckle, then you can still use the original strap to secure it behind the seat tube.
You won’t be able lock it the way it was originally intended, but the material allows you to bend it up underneath the plate, and no one will ever know, that it’s not locked any more.
Many times, the strap has the corresponding issue/date numbers stamped on it, so it’s pretty cool to keep the original strap with its plate.
Just a thought.

tre copy.jpg

@Awhipple.. I bought the 66' specifically for the originality, but I'm just so used to seeing the license in this position behind the seat-post that it makes the one on my bike look like a mistake to me. So far the only thing I've done to my bike is replace the tires with NOS tires, so don't worry I won't do anything goofy to it like brand new pedals..

If you decide to cut it off and want another one, send me your address and i will send you one. I have several...

Back