When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Regina 5 speed freewheel from Campy high flange hub that is not laced to rim.

-

John Gialanella

Finally riding a big boys bike
I should not have screwed the 5 speed Regina freewheel to the Campy hub that was not laced to a rim. I can get the correct tool, but since it is not on a wheel will it be possible to hold the other end of the hub while using wrench on the removal tool. I hope there is a way, otherwise the hub and the freewheel will be useless.
Thanks John.

Not sure if this would work, but could you place the removal tool in a vise, place the freewheel on the tool and use a strap wrench like they use on oil filters to turn the hub?

I had the same issue about 13 years ago and tried so many half baked ideas I can't remember now which one worked. So your freewheel was just hand tightened and not cranked on tight? The Atom freewheel where someone cut the spokes to remove it from the rim that I did was on the hub for years and that made it even more hopeless.

They make polyurethane jaw inserts for a bench vice so maybe you could secure the hub in vice using those.

I might be missing something but a freewheel removal tool, wrench and chainwhip should remove.

Thanks to all who responded. I only hand tighten the freewheel so maybe it might work. I have a removal tool but it is too large. I know which one to buy. I will try putting the tool (hexagon) in the vice and use a strap wrench.
Thanks again.
John.

I removed a freewheel with a miscellaneous bare rim laced with a few spokes to the non freewheel side of the hub flange. That gave me enough leverage to break the freewheel loose using the freewheel removal tool.

Last edited:
Back