When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing stuck handlebar grips

-
Excellent advice! Thank you. I always thought WD40 would somehow be too harsh. So I always used Simple Green with not the best result.

Had luck recently getting a 1954 set of very hard black oval grips off. I typically wedge toothpicks in between the grip and bar, enough to squeeze in some soap water or wd40. They were so hard I couldn't get anything in there. The seal was so tight nothing would even seep down in there. I pulled out my heat gun and put it on the lowest setting and hit them from a distance moving it back and forth and on all sides, not to fry the surface and to get it evenly warmed up. It worked great. The old rubber loosened up and even expanded with the mild heat. I got some toothpicks wedged in there and wd40 went down in between the grip and bars and gave them a twist and they popped off easy. I am sure a blow dryer could achieve the same effect. I cleaned the bars and grips pretty quickly and when I went to go put them grips back on, they had retained the heat for a while after and were still expanded and went on very easy. They were still quite loose, but once they cooled, they were on there tight as ever again. I will probably use the technique on all the grips I pull off now. Sounds like @Iverider and I think alike.

Well here’s an update. I soaked the grips in Simple Green overnight but barely removed any of the gunk. I then soaked them in bleach for a couple of hours, then used a small brush with Comet and finally some Magic Eraser. I should have taken a before picture but I. They are 90% cleaner than before and one heck of an improvement.

I use soft scrub and a firm bristled toothbrush to get down in the lines. The grit in the soft scrub helps scrub the dirt off the surface but is pretty mild. Might be worth a try.

I use soft scrub and a firm bristled toothbrush to get down in the lines. The grit in the soft scrub helps scrub the dirt off the surface but is pretty mild. Might be worth a try.

Yea sounds good too but I think these grips were never white rather like a bone shade?

I wonder if Krylon Fusion black paint will work? Cheaper than getting a black replacement set.

I had a real stubburn one myself. Used my compressor and it finally came off. Shot up somewhere and couldn't find it..That was last year. This year was cleaning the gutters from the leaves and found my grip. now can't find the other one! My organization skills suck.

I used two 2x6’s to stop them from going into oblivion and they still bounced up to the far side of the garage!

Back