When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing this stain?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I like the toothpaste idea. bwahaha!!! 🤣 .... 😂 .... 👍 .... 🤪

Microscopic silica in a sweet sticky paste does it every time.

I like the toothpaste idea. bwahaha!!! 🤣 .... 😂 .... 👍 .... 🤪

Microscopic silica in a sweet sticky paste does it every time.
Hey it has worked before 🤣
Won't be long before Everyone thinks I'm a bike quack but when stuff does work 🤷‍♂️ like coke or honey to eat rust .... at least worth a try

I would not be rubbing, scratching or polishing a thing until after ya soaked it with light acidic solution to dissolve it out of the paint while it's porous first. Soak a rag and dab into the stain, let it set on it, keep it moist. Toilet bowl cleaner works well. I have used common toilet bowl cleaner, carefully to not over do it, for years and made sure I sealed it with something when done, never had a stain return. Vinegar is suposta work, but not my Fav. Oleic acid works well too. Clean out the stain by dissolving the rust or whatever first. Usually the paint is really dried out so, you need to be extra, extra careful on pin stripes, ya don't want to rub them.

Then, depending on what you used to dissolve the stain, you should neutralize it.

Disclaimers: Oleic acid is a different animal as an acid derived from plant oils. It's a go to favorite on bikes I've used a few times with good results by just flushing with water and polishing of any rust on chrome and sealing paint with wax. I especially like 'Nu Finish' because it's a chemical, 1 year polish. But, like other waxes ya have to make sure you get the powder out of rough surface or cracks.. it's the cheapest but, maybe an all liquid 1 year+ non-powdery polish would be better for old dried porous paint.

Neutralize Oleic acid by flushing with baking soda mixed well in water, (Don't rub it, dab) Yet, just this week I discover something about it. I had only water flushed oleic acid expecting that's all ya need to do on the few bike parts I have used it on. Others here have used it with good results. . However Tricky Oleic acid is, peeps haven't made point, that I know of.. , If any raw, bare metal is exposed, after neutralizing it, the way ya suppose-to, with baking soda, , bare metal can rust back almost instantly. I don't know for sure but ponder that, not neutralizing oleic acid other than flushing with good water, might be a better choice. I've just used water on the few bikes I messed with. This week I needed to go the distance on my lawn mower's battery tray that was pretty bad. After neutralizing it, ,, flash rust happened and all the shiny bare metal went rust color. I ended up sanding what I could to get the rust off but there's pits I could not get out. Whelp, it won't be long until I know if Rust-Oleum
does what it says B/C, that part, , likes to suck battery acid, duh. And, mower is outside uncovered all year. Outside; not a good idea nor expected by manufacture but, it is what it is.

Regardless, to neutralize or not to? I am thinking: Maybe Oleic acid acts like Phosphoric acid where both turn rust black which is used as rust inhibitor on bikes? Yet good idea to keep bikes dry and sealed well that are treated with it whether neutralized or only flushed with water and Cross fingers.

Vinegar: I used it as recommended in a few places for an old badge; Schwinn BFC. Worked well on the zinc and ate the little bit of paint I was trying to save.

Cheap Toilet bowl cleaner is not very strong albeit, add a little bleach and it will clean heavily corroded brass in a hurry.

Toilet bowl cleaner or white vinegar. I'd use bottled water that brags bout higher alkaline if ya wanna get testy but, flushing with regular water should clear it out.

Oil stains can come out with degreasers.

Last edited:
Back