When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repaint?

-
It’s just in me to investigate. I like understanding the details. Seems like you guys do too. The research is fun.

In that case, I would also suggest removing the crank and the fork at some point. Look at the frame inside the bottom bracket and head tube, and look at the fork steer tube as well. You may or may not find some clues in those areas.

Should be more overspray on the inside the tank. It really looks too neat Most tanks I’ve had had overspray paint inside...and areas where there is no primer or paint.....
Thanks. Just pulled the tank and wheels for polishing and I’m sure you’re right about the paint. With just a little polish and elbow grease, it’s looking like a brand new bicycle. Internals like the horn’s battery cage looked unused just like the fender light. Here’s a look inside the tank, and I’ll post some more pics after clean up. It’s a beautiful bicycle.

View attachment 1024138

View attachment 1024139

View attachment 1024140

View attachment 1024141

View attachment 1024142

View attachment 1024143

View attachment 1024144

View attachment 1024145

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After looking at all the nuts and bolts and the additional pictures of the paint etc. I believe that's a super nice unmolested piece. But, I can't understand how anyone with any experience will overlook the wear on the chain ring. Guess the critics of these old bikes have never seen a new chain ring or one that shows no wear. That bike has some miles on it and it's obvious from the wear on the teeth and condition of the pedals. The original owner must have loved that bike!

Unsure if these would help..My opinion is that the bike is a SUPER nice original..
to me though the ONLY "odd" thing is that the paint has "chips" on the top bar. IF this thing is "restored"? whoever did it spent WAAAYYYY to much time/effort/$$(Meaning they had to of lost $$$ on it because it was like new/original/correct :grinning::grinning::grinning:)..Tires? Mine had Firestone blackwall tires on it . I happened to have closeups of the tank graphics I took for someone restoring theirs ..Hope they help(But crusty paint doesnt help with viewing clean edges though..
20150707_142506_HDR.jpg

20150716_163453_HDR.jpg

20150716_163411_HDR.jpg

Looks pretty close to me. Maybe can’t see the edges but looks like the same stencil. To me anyhow. Thanks for posting.

The tires are something that hasn't really been mentioned other than in the two posts I quoted above. At least one of them has been replaced. You have a Davis Deluxe on the front, and a Sears Allstate on the rear. I do not know what tires the bike would have originally been equipped with, but I would say the rear tire has been replaced, as I highly doubt Monark would have put an Allstate tire on a Firestone bike.
This does not help with determining whether or not the paint is original, but does point to the possibility of the bike having been ridden, and not NOS.

View attachment 1024467
View attachment 1024468

Regarding this pedal, yes the missing chunk is damage, not wear. But, there is clearly wear in addition to the missing chunk. Both blocks show wear, but especially the one across from the missing chunk.
While it is a nice pedal aside from the one block, there is no question that this is most definitely a used pedal.

View attachment 1024469

I suppose it is possible, that the rest of the bike is NOS, aside from the pedals and at least one of the tires. It's possible someone found the NOS bike without pedals, and added them, and replaced a tire to get it riding.
I'm still wondering about the paint though, specifically the beige stripes and lettering, all having fuzzy edges like it was taped off. The paint just doesn't have a factory look to it, and personally I think it looks like an older, quality restoration done maybe 20-30 years ago.

Either way it is a great looking bike, and what matters most is that you are happy with it, which it sounds like you are.
As far as the tire being replaced. I, like many of you I'm sure have bikes sitting for a LONG time that loose air, then get cracks in the side wall from sitting there with no air in them. Tires can get toasted and still can have never been ridden. I ser tires come through the shop all the time with perfict tread and wasted sidewalls. My guess is one tire was neglected, got dried out, sat flat and cracked the sidewall.

I’ve created a wanted post for correct or period tires to complete this bike. If you can help, shoot me a message. Looking forward to riding it. [emoji2191] Thanks!

Just found one thought I’d post some pics of the inside of this tank..this ones patinad well but still original color
F189BFC0-D08A-4458-87F7-D9588D51F9F1.jpeg

2DC5E80F-84C6-4C53-A897-A574CA4E8A00.jpeg

25309AE5-395D-42E5-9C34-85C2B855440D.jpeg

A5E4BB24-D230-4BAA-A757-7D477136C3C5.jpeg

Looks like the same color primer. Mine shows a little less overspray but then the undercoat and primary are similar colors. Brackets show some overspray like yours. Super helpful. Thanks for posting. How’s the pin striping and stenciling?

Back