When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repainting 1960 Schwinn Speedster

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I am partial to Speedsters, my dear old Dad had one. Got pics? Maybe just a good cleaning is all that is needed. You can find og Schwinn colors in a can nowadays, officially licensed stuff. See Gary Wold of Coolestuff, hes got paint. Otherwise, I prefer to media blast, prime and paint at last resort.

IMHO the best way is glass bead blasting, then sandblasting, so long as you are paying someone to do it. sandblasting without a cabinet is a mess.

stripper.... messy, toxic and in my case, did not remove all the paint. I am doing some fenders now, used stripper then had to wire wheel the rest. still need some DA cleanup. I will only use stripper on the undersides of fenders from now on. plus if you live in California they are saving the world by ruining Jasco's stripper. that stuff was good, but not so much any more

I like an 8" wire wheel on a big powerful buffer for frames, or a cup style wire brush on a 4" grinder.

If the old paint is stuck to the metal that well, don’t remove it. Sand it down until there are no edges, then prime with a filler primer. Wet sand with 1000 grit paper before applying the top coat.

Back