When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repainting white enamel S7's help / suggestions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

spleeft

Finally riding a big boys bike
These are from a Black '63 Typhoon, are really nice and straight / round with only one little curb dent and going back on the Black Typhoon for a rider. Not really doing a completely original restore but close. I like the idea of having the original rims with the pin stripes but Im not married to using the exact same colors. New black spokes and nipples are on the way and the hub overhauls are done , rear is Bendix redband single speed.
Ive cleaned them up with an oxalate bath / carefully used rubbing compound but I think I want to try my hand at repainting them. Ive ordered the pin stripe stencils.
Ignore the white wall tire in the pic , I just through it on there to see how it looked. I may or may not go with it.
- If I were to go with the original colors, what is the white paint called, or is there a color I could get from the paint store that's super close?
- Any suggestions on custom colors?!!!
- How do you'all go about fixing the curb dent, pic below?
- What are the basic steps to doing this repaint job? ( Im a total newb! )
63 white rin dent.JPG

'63 Typhoon just picked up.JPG
white S7 1.jpeg

If you want them really nice I would bring them to a powder coater, see the colors they can do and get a price. Roger

Gently massage dent out with a few pairs of cresent wrenches..stencils work great..good luck

If these were mine, I would find a white color close to the original and touch them up. You'd be surprised how nice they'll look and they'll still technically be original paint.

Pin stripes on wheels are easy. Get some 3M fine line tape in 1/16" width. Automotive paint supply houses are the place to get the tape. Run 2 strips of the 1/16" tape around your rim where you want the stripe to be. Next, get some blue painters tape and tape everything that is not pinstripes. Made sure the edges are stuck down good. Run the side of a ball point pen down them to make sure. Remove 1/16" tape and paint with gloss black paint. Carefully remove blue tape and you're done! Here's one I pinstriped in ivory on red rims. Gary

ADX017.JPG

Here's an S7 wheel that I repainted with Krylon Ivory. Before and after painting and replacing with new spokes. The before picture was taken with no flash, the after was taken with a flash. Compare the color of the wheel to the pattern in the chair. Side by side they are close enough for government work..
20171101_134947.jpg

20171125_190625.jpg

Here's how I striped these wheels
IMG_20200924_111634370_HDR.jpg

Used this tool

ps_whl.jpg

clamp a fork into a vise, mount the wheel into the fork, steady your hand, spin the wheel, and let the guide pin on the tool do the rest.l

Here's an S7 wheel that I repainted with Krylon Ivory. Before and after painting and replacing with new spokes. The before picture was taken with no flash, the after was taken with a flash. Compare the color of the wheel to the pattern in the chair. Side by side they are close enough for government work..
View attachment 1372106
View attachment 1372107

Here's how I striped these wheels
View attachment 1372111

Used this tool

View attachment 1372114

clamp a fork into a vise, mount the wheel into the fork, steady your hand, spin the wheel, and let the guide pin on the tool do the rest.l
Very Nice !! Thats looks as good as a Jack Lambert tackle !
Krylon Ivory, got it ! Did you use primer ?
thnx

Back