When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Repainting white enamel S7's help / suggestions

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I used a high build primer then sanded it with 800 grit wet or dry paper to smooth it out. I have a laundry sink in my shop and put a little dish washing liquid on the paper and sand under a small stream of running water. Keeps the sandpaper clean. I repainted the rims without spokes in place. Take a broken spoke and put a hook on the broken end. Put the spoke in as you would and screw a nipple on it. Run a wire through the hole 180 degrees from spoke and loop it around the hook on the spoke. All sides the rim are easy to access and no part of the rim you want painted is covered.

Any ideas on how to build a jig so I can spin a rim without any spokes so I can pinstripe them with a pin striping tool?

Very Nice !! Thats looks as good as a Jack Lambert tackle !
Krylon Ivory, got it ! Did you use primer ?
thnx
Have you been peeking into my closet?

IMG_20210313_183351336.jpg

Last edited:
Once again the guard at Wally World says i don’t have permission to view a photo .

Edit - out smarted him.

Last edited:
Rivnut, it is very easy. Tape your rim to be striped to one that is laced up. Then you clamp the axle in the vise. You can spin the open rim and stripe one side then untape it and reverse it and tape it on and do the other side. It works great!

@Tom Hand Great idea but how do you tape them together so you’re not painting over tape? As I think about this could you conceivably connect the two using zip ties? Can you go into some detail on taping them together? Thanks,
Ed

@Tom Hand Great idea but how do you tape them together so you’re not painting over tape? As I think about this could you conceivably connect the two using zip ties? Can you go into some detail on taping them together? Thanks,
Ed

I'll take a guess. No tire on the rim in the vise and then tape the two bead edges together with at least a 1" wide tape.

Update:
I finally got around to trying my hand at this. I used the sandblaster at work to remove the paint. I started wet sanding the bare metal with 250 but it seemed to be too abrasive and was scratching more than I liked. I have no idea if this would be a problem later but all I had was some 800 so I used that...( Picking up 300 - 800 asap ) I picked up some Rustoleum self etching primer...thats next.
I love the way I can see the weld / seem and wonder who the worker was and when they made this epic piece of Americana ! Happy Holidays !

Back