When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace a rear hub cup??

-
There might be some info in the Schwinn Repair manual.
IMG_2255.JPG

That would be awesome except that there is no lip to set your drift on.
There is a steel tube between the cups. I've tried tapping on it lightly with a wood dowel but it won't move.
IMG_2205.JPG

Even with the tube being a little offset from the cup, I couldn't get a bite on it with a drift nor a screwdriver.

Ordered spokes for a different hub I bought used.

Thanks for you help, CABE!

Last edited:
That’s why you have to grind down the L bend portion of an Allen wrench, so it creates an “Offset Drift Punch”.
It has the right shape and hardness to create such a tool, so that it allows you to just get it in to the limited space between the bearing cup and the axle tube of the hubshell.
Just make sure to grind the tip down so that it resembles a bent screw diver blade.
A paint can opening tool might work as well, but the Allen wrench method allows you to tailor make the tool to the task at hand.

Last edited:
You have two metals with different expansion rates, use it to your advantage. If you heat the aluminum hub it will expand faster than the steel cup. Get your punches ready, and a wood work surface that you can hammer on and set a hot hub against.

Here's how to heat aluminum without damaging it from overheating. You need a way to measure the amount of heat you put into the aluminum. It never changes in look like steel does. It stays the same right up to the point it turns into a puddle. I like to use an Acetylene Torch because you can control the size (heat) of the flame by the amount of oxygen you add. You start out with 100% Acetylene flame and coat the aluminum with the black soot. Then you can heat the aluminum up to the point that the carbon burns away. You are safe as long as you have the carbon left, but as soon as it burns away, you know your getting close to the point of no return. You do not need to get the hub that hot in order to have the expansion you desire.

If you do not have an Acetylene torch you can use a Propane, or better yet a MAP gas torch. You can use a black felt tip marker to draw lines across the areas you will be heating. The ink will burn away at the temperature when you are getting close to the melting point.

It would have been a lot easier to work on the hub, hold it when hot, before you cut out the spokes.

John

Back