When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replace Fenders and Rims ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

jchicago

Finally riding a big boys bike
I'm doing my first fix-up/restoration.
My fenders are chrome colored, but a little dented here and there with some spray paint.
Also, my rims are super rusted.

I'm planning to soak the rims in Evaporust.
I also see new rims and fenders for sale all the time.
My question on the fenders (and rims)...is it better to restore the originals, or are they something I should just get new ones for? I know there is significance in frames, pedals, stems, handlebars, but does this apply to fenders like these and rims?

Elgin Oriole Rear.JPG

Elgin Oriole Front Fender Light Hole.JPG

I don't think many people will tell you to replace, unless that is, they trade you for the parts. Cover that hole with a light. Massage the fenders with a couple of pieces of shaped wood and a mallet. Those and the triple drop rims are perfect. Nice bike!!!

If you could find fenders at a reasonable price in decent shape I would replace.These type projects are always fun because you can do whatever you want and nothing is wrong.

Shine up the fenders (and the rims if they're chrome) with a "pad" made from aluminum foil and briskly rub the chrome with the pad under some running water. If the water and aluminum foil doesn't cut it for you, use Coca-Cola instead of water.

Back