When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement Chain for old bikes

-

BrianInPA

Finally riding a big boys bike
I have a 1953 Roadmaster that I am interested in replacing the chain. I am not sure what size to get or if there is a modern equivalent that folks gravitate to for older bikes. Any suggestions would be a huge help! TIA!

Lets see a pic of the chain ring. V/r Shawn
Here you go, thank you!

Screenshot_20220518-090437-01.jpeg

Standard 1/2" pitch chain. Just make sure length is correct but easy to find--maybe even Walmart. Make sure it is labeled for single speed. That looks like a Wald replacement chain ring. Make sure the sprocket is also 1/2" and not 1" pitch. V/r Shawn

Standard 1/2" pitch chain. Just make sure length is correct but easy to find--maybe even Walmart. Make sure it is labeled for single speed. That looks like a Wald replacement chain ring. Make sure the sprocket is also 1/2" and not 1" pitch. V/r Shawn
Ok thank you so much for the info, I really appreciate it! That's the last piece I need to get the old girl on the road😊😊

Also, when people say “standard” 1/2” pitch chain, that means 1/8” width, (sometimes identified as single speed chain or 3-speed); and that there is another smaller 3/32” width chain for derailleur bikes and some BXM bikes (too small).
And then there is a wider (sometimes called heavy duty) size at 3/16” width (too fat). The heavy “duty” (or service) may actually be independent of the interface size, but have thicker side plates; (i.e., HD 1/2” x 1/8”).

Last edited:
Also, when people say “standard” 1/2” pitch chain, that means 1/8” width, (sometimes identified as single speed chain or 3-speed); and that there is another smaller 3/32” width chain for derailleur bikes and some BXM bikes (too small).
And then there is a wider (sometimes called heavy duty) size at 3/16” width (too fat). The heavy “duty” (or service) may actually be independent of the interface size, but have thicker side plates; (i.e., HD 1/2” x 1/8”).
Ok that's great, I appreciate you sharing the information with me. I'm starting to remember a little of that from back I'm my BMX days, but this site has been such a great resource!

what's the reason for replacing the chain?
problems can arise when chains are replaced, a clean and lube might do it.
looks like a huffy/huffman chainring? let's see the rest of the bike?

what's the reason for replacing the chain?
problems can arise when chains are replaced, a clean and lube might do it.
looks like a huffy/huffman chainring, let's see the rest of the bike?
Yeah. First step is always to see if the existing part is usable, especially chains.

And we want pictures ('cause we like pictures of bikes)! And how do we know that you really have a bike and aren't just trolling us? Have fun!

That chain ring is typical from early to late '50s CWC/AMF bikes. Also, despite years of trying, I finally found TWO garage door openers in the dumpster at one of our jobs! They use the same 1/2" chain, and generally stay in good condition!

Back