When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing a Single Spoke

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

saladshooter

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Howdy,

I'm needing to replace one spoke on a wheel and I'm easily confused. Evidently the last time I replaced a single spoke it laced from the inside of the hub out so didn't interfere with the spokes on the other side of the hub. This time it needs to lace from the outside of the hub which then interferes. Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks
Chad
IMG_20181212_153529.jpg

IMG_20181212_153559.jpg

Bend the spoke or completely un tension wheel for slack. Those are your two options.

Now you've discovered one of the disadvantages of a 36 hole 4 cross spoke pattern.

I didn't expect that to be the answer but I couldn't figure out any other way.

Thanks
Chad

You shouldn't have to bend it too much. Once you get it on the right path you can use your thumb to flex the spoke as you feed it through with your other hand. Straigten it back out once its where it needs to be and your good to go. Old steel spokes are pretty soft, no need to worry.

that new departure cog should have an opening in it where you slide the spoke through
It's a 2 speed cog. Not sure why they don't have the spoke slits. But the spoke cleared the cog but had to bend the spoke to get on the correct side of the opposite side spokes. :oops:

Looks like you're almost there. Non drive side is easy from the outside. I usually aim the threaded end towards the wide V in the spokes directly across from the spoke hole. From the other side of the wheel apply pressure to the top of the spoke with your thumb and gently lift the spoke with your index finger while feeding it through the hub flange to curve the threaded end to rest on the V in the opposite side spokes. A little more finessing over the cog. Apply pressure on the spoke on the inside of the hub flange while feeding it through and it should slide easily the rest of the way. Then gently curve and maneuver the spoke to the nipple, tension to true. Done.
Confused? Call me. If your aren't in a hurry, bring the wheel to the ride Sunday and I'll bring my TS-2.
Quick edit: looking again, you are real close. Just gently curve and guide the spoke as you go. You can grab the other end and give it a gentle arc to ease the spoke through. An arc is fine, just don't bend it. You're so close!

Last edited:
Looks like you're almost there. Non drive side is easy from the outside. I usually aim the threaded end towards the wide V in the spokes directly across from the spoke hole. From the other side of the wheel apply pressure to the top of the spoke with your thumb and gently lift the spoke with your index finger while feeding it through the hub flange to curve the threaded end to rest on the V in the opposite side spokes. A little more finessing over the cog. Apply pressure on the spoke on the inside of the hub flange while feeding it through and it should slide easily the rest of the way. Then gently curve and maneuver the spoke to the nipple, tension to true. Done.
Confused? Call me. If your aren't in a hurry, bring the wheel to the ride Sunday and I'll bring my TS-2.
Quick edit: looking again, you are real close. Just gently curve and guide the spoke as you go. You can grab the other end and give it a gentle arc to ease the spoke through. An arc is fine, just don't bend it. You're so close!

Thanks Eric! I'm trying real hard to get a couple fresh bikes going for the ride on Sunday... we'll see!

Back