When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing Schwinn script front hub bearing cups

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

skiptoofer22

Look Ma, No Hands!
I've seen Schwinn literature saying that the bearing cups for a Schwinn script front hub can be replaced, but I haven't seen anything on how to properly do it. Has anyone done this before? Thanks, Trevor

I haven't seen that type of hub, but the general method used with old cars if a bad bearing cup can't be knocked out with a punch from behind is to put a bead of weld on the bearing along where the balls used to run, then allow it to cool down. The heat from the weld tried to expand the cup, but it couldn't expand in the hub, so the metal was deformed while red hot. Thus it should retract to a slightly smaller diameter when cool, making it easy to remove. To make it really easy you may weld a piece of metal to the cup that goes across the axle hole - that'll make it even easier to punch out.
Just source a replacement cup first ;)

I have a couple sizes of the cups. I drive them out from the back with a long skinny punch and seat them with a properly sized socket and a hammer. Not the easiest job in the world, they are a tight fit!

I haven't seen that type of hub, but the general method used with old cars if a bad bearing cup can't be knocked out with a punch from behind is to put a bead of weld on the bearing along where the balls used to run, then allow it to cool down. The heat from the weld tried to expand the cup, but it couldn't expand in the hub, so the metal was deformed while red hot. Thus it should retract to a slightly smaller diameter when cool, making it easy to remove. To make it really easy you may weld a piece of metal to the cup that goes across the axle hole - that'll make it even easier to punch out.
Just source a replacement cup first ;)

Thanks for the info! I have removed them before with a punch, I just wasn't sure how to put them in.

What is that called?

I have a couple sizes of the cups. I drive them out from the back with a long skinny punch and seat them with a properly sized socket and a hammer. Not the easiest job in the world, they are a tight fit!

Ok cool! I'll give that a try somtime. At least I know now that it can be done.

Back