When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacing torrington pedal blocks

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

tuscankid

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have a set of new blocks to replace worn blocks on Torrington, pedals.
The issue, nuts will not loosen on the shaft, as the shaft spins.
Any, suggestions to resolve this issue appreciated.
Steve

I've got a few methods, with different levels of damage.

Least damaging is take a flat head screwdriver and stab it between the block and the outer plate, to hopefully pinch the bolt and keep it from turning. If you tweak the plate a bit you can usually hammer it back straight.

Most damaging methods are vice grips on the head of the pin. If the pin is loose and comes off, you can grind and polish the vice grip marks off.

Or, if you don't plan on saving the old blocks, grind or cut the block in the middle, taking out a chunk big enough to grab the pin in the middle with vice grips, so you won't see the damage when you put the new blocks on.

If you can get a cordless impact gun, that'll usually spin the nut off with no damage.

You can also cut the nut off carefully so you don't damage the threads on the pin, and replace the nut.

Or just buy some better pedals and save the old ones for a crusty rider.

The reason you are having that problem is that a lot of times the shafts were "peened" after the nuts were on to keep them from loosening. I agree with bairdco to just remove the old block and secure the shaft with vicegrips and remove the nuts.

Back