When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

repo parts hello

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
W

willy wonka

hello fellow collectors and restores. my name is william im new here. ive only been here a few days its awesome. nice job scott.i was wondering how many people read my suggestion on creating our own line of exsclusive parts through the cabe members here would vote one what thed like to see produced. what do you think scott im a creative person hope i can add to your wonderful page william:)

Once the parts are repopped I think that it hurts the collecting hobby and makes it harder to trust what you are buying is an actual original part, Plus the more of something that is repopped the less the originals would be worth. Just my opinion.

I agree with Marty although I work in a metal fab shop and I'm working on left and right side dies to build a 36 Schwinn tank to use on one of my bikes until I can find a nice Original to replace it with.I don't plan on buildng any for resale.

thanks for your reply but

:) :) thanks for replying guys. ive collected bicycles a long time. id say the same thing here as id said to some guys in my other hobbie vintage gijoe action figures why are you collecting for profit or the love of it .in my case i do it for the love of it. repops can be slightly altered so you know the diffrence .see to some people if you make repops than they cant get rich and goug on thire originals. the little guy who has a tight buget wants to enjoy the hobbie too and as ive heard hear already some parts you just cant get .im sorry if i offended anyone it was just a sugestion so we could all enjoy the hobbie we love thanks again for replying william

I wonder why???

People that call themselfs collectors of any hobby put a (price) like they are actully gonna get that money when they are gone and there inlaws have to clean up their mess....:confused:

I say your right on this ;)...repop for the underpaid working class there are too many secrets and (FAT CATS) in this hobby, time to blow it apart!!!!

They already have their bikes time for us little guys to join together!, so what if you sell the repops.

I am done with BIKE SNOBS!!!

Oooo but I might retire on this money hmmmm 10-$30,000 is not enough to retire... better collect Hummel Figures!:eek:

I AM READY!!!

J A M I E

for what it's worth, here's my opinion.
as a collector, I wouldn't mind seing the values of originals go down to a reasonable level. also I would not mind seeing good quality reproductions. these reproductions you propose could possibly have an identifying trade mark or something stamped into the tin or cast in the plastic as the case may be in a non intrusive spot but somewhere easily findable to a collector who wants to have original parts. I collect toy trains as well as bicycles and there is a whole industry devoted to repopping train parts and even the trains themselves. the prices were affected a bit but not terribly. some collectors still want originals and are willing to pay the price, and some of us like Jamie and I are willing to have repops to ride around without paying tons for them. it is my experience that repops don't kill the hobby they grow it by letting more people participate at a reasonable price. funny how some people get about this topic but when restoring a '57 Chevy everyone buys brand new nuts, bolts, springs, clips and stuff without it devaluing their vehicle. my uncle restored a 1910 Pierce Arrow Model 66. all he started with is the engine and the transmission out of a model 48 (which is different). he sold the thing about 10 years ago for over $500,00.00!!! somewhere along the way, this hobby got hijacked by a few vendors who wanted to sell stuff like Wingo hubcaps, and Persons Aero pedals for hundreds of dollars apiece and we've all been following them like the pied piper! and JRE, think of what you are saying, it is ok for you to have a repop but not everyone else? after you find your original tank what are you going to do with the popped one? cut it up so no other poor sap who can't find or afford one can have it? no I think we all deserve to be able to have a repop if we want one and if the market will bear a company making them. the biggest question is if in a hobby this small, a company could make money on parts that only a few will sell before the market is saturated. Schwinn repops work because they made 800,000 Phantoms! and that's not counting the other models. you'll never be able to make parts for my streamliner because me and Ronald are probably the only ones looking for them. by the time you tool up you'll have spent more than you'll ever recoup. Do like Jerry Williamson and stick to accessories that can be used on any bike and you should be fine, or at least stick to parts where the potential customer base is over 2:D
sorry this is so long:o
Scott:cool:

Last edited:
Yea I can see both sides of the argument and agree that if it is a repop part with a identifaction mark put in a easy to find spot it would be ok. The tank I'm building is more of a challange to myself to see If I could do it have'nt really thought about what i'm going to do with it afterwards.

my idea

its nice to here everybodys input . as ive posted before theres a product called smoothit that could be used to make alot of prototype parts they have there on web site it comes in big tubs. i think it would be a great product to make tanks and fender lights with id really like to copy the 1985 coke bike tank it would fit many bikes it would be a nice custom tank .mud flaps would also be nice. what would really be cool is make a the cabe.com bike using our own parts take it to shows post it here use it as a club give away:D

I have not seen any repo parts that:
a. hurt the value of the originals
or
b. can't be destinguished from the original

Reproduction parts differ from a counterfeit parts with the latter having a better chance of hurting the 'market'

I need a ton of dropstands, about 2% of my bikes that should have one, actually come with one, I think that I can make these myself. Would I like to have originals? Sure, I would, but it may not happen.

I think good high quality reproduction Troxel seats and EA or Delta lights would be great for the hobby as well as tank horn units.

All of these are fairly simple to make/produce. Why not??

Back