When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

repo parts hello

-
Not that it matters but...here is my take.
After hovering around the fringe of the bike hobby for years...decades actually, I can compare it to the last 20 years of the VW hobby. In the beginning, deep pocket collectors drove the demand and prices beyond logic. NOS, NOS was all anyone spoke. Then came the repops. What I noticed was that when the product was made with integrity-a quality piece, customers were willing to pay a little more for the assurance that it would fit and operate properly. Nobody ever bough a fully 50 year old, restored VW believing that the wiring harness was NOS. But when the product was made as cheap as possible, and didn't fit or last, the customers got frustrated and went away.
That is where we stand now. Jerry has repopped some parts that I have not been too impressed with (pedals) or feel that should not have been done (lights and reflectors). At the same time, I don't own a bike worth putting $200 Torrington pedals on so I have no problem with the Signal and #10 pedals I have seen because they seem to be of a high quality.
So I guess my point is if all that was available for my 39 Rollfast was NOS or used pedals and old tires, I would have been gone long ago...and most of the old bikes would be getting scrapped or turned into rat rod bikes. And for those selling repops as NOS, karma will catch up to them sooner or later...

we need to keep in mind that some of this stuff was not great quality in the first place, the Comet pedals that are available now weren't that good when they were new in the '50's. quality is an issue. to take what you said and run with it, a restored 1957 Chevy almost always has repop wiring, and nuts and bolts and at least some of the trim pieces. nobody gets upset at this. it is what it is, if you want to keep these old bikes going and want new blood in the hobby, we're going to have to make concessions somewhere. which is better, a restored pre war bike with 1960's middleweight pedals, some rusted junk because no originals could be found, or a set of repop pedals? we're getting to that point, the stuff going on ebay today can't keep going forever, parts are already getting scarce on many things. one example is that so many people complained when Persons reissued their pedals and leather seats in the 80's and 90's, and they were great quality, and made by the original manufacturer! what was the issue? why not? I have a set of these pedals and had one of the leather crash rail seats, they were great! yes Jerry needs to work on the quality of his repops, but we're talking about someone else making repops. whether we like it or not if there is a demand there will be repops, we might as well have a say and some input as to what is repopped and to what quality levels, and make sure they can be distinguished from originals. if we can't beat them (and we can't) we might as well join them and have a small say in how it's done.
the next issue is copyright infringement. I understand one of the owners of one of the biggest classic car parts reproducers was actually hauled off in handcuffs from one of the shows as an example to anyone foolish enough to try making stuff without the rights to do so.

Repop or die!

WOW!
Hot topic.
I have been away for awhile, so it's good to see such passion being debated here at the Cabe.
My take on the repop issue is mixed. I have never been a purist when it comes to the perishable parts like the tires, grips, pedals and seat covers. These parts were never meant to last forever. The shops made more money selling after market parts such as these than they ever did on complete bicycles.
My main concern with the repops is when they are merely turned out for a profit with no regard as to how well they actually work.
It kills me to buy a part and have it not fit because the bonehead that made the part didn't factor in the shrinkage when he made the cast from an original part. I don't understand why anyone would go to the trouble of remanufacturing something and not make it exactly like the original. That's why they call it a reproduction.
What is even better is when the repop is better than the original.
The model train industry has actually done that. Lionel has teamed up with one of their arch competitors and produced the prewar tinplate trains in China using state of the art construction and electronics that are far and away better than the originals. In 1934, a complete outfit cost about $40.00 and now that awesome reproduction will cost about $600.00. Needless to say, these aren't aimed at little kids anymore.
So, it shows that the repop doesn't have to be a bad thing. Remake a good quality 26X 2.1/25 Goodyear Airwheel that looks and rides and lasts just like the original, and I'm on it. I saw where a N.O.S set sold for $600.00. I'll bet you could make that same tire exactly like the original and sell it for much less. And who wouldn't be standing in line to buy them. I know I would. If you ride your bike, you're going to wear out those high dollar tires.
There will always be a collectors market for the ultra rare items. I bid $600.00 on a Northwest Patrol headbadge and didn't win it. I didn't think that anyone would be crazy enough to bid that high, but there was, so I lost out. I can tell you that neither I or the lucky winner of that little piece of brass would have paid two cents for a reproduction know matter how well it was produced. In the highend game, it's all about originality. You can make as many Mona Lisa's as you like and they will never bring the adoration as the original does. It really is'nt even that great of a painting. But It's the Mona Lisa by Da Vinci! What more can I say?

Yeah i think tires are definitely worth repoping, if you want to have the originals you can get them, but if you ride your bike every day, you usually have to settle for the cheng shin ones. Ive almost ate it a few times on account of my age hardend Allstate's. I would also like to see some of those fender mounts for your initials.

those tires dont work on my 37 zepp. repop tires would be great as long as the correspond to the year of the bike. 28 single tube whitewalls would be killer.

coker tire

those tires dont work on my 37 zepp. repop tires would be great as long as the correspond to the year of the bike. 28 single tube whitewalls would be killer.

coker tire in tennessee makes the ones you need .
they where $100.00 each. last year.
you can check their web site.

Some items that are needed simply are not out there. I needed a fender light cover for an Elgin Skylark (same as the Elgin Robin). I had a friend reproduce one from an original for me, very high quality, but very expensive as well !! I had to make a minimum of five, so if anyone else needs one, hollar !!!

Aaron

www.VintageSchwinn.com

Yo!!!

Some items that are needed simply are not out there. I needed a fender light cover for an Elgin Skylark (same as the Elgin Robin). I had a friend reproduce one from an original for me, very high quality, but very expensive as well !! I had to make a minimum of five, so if anyone else needs one, hollar !!!

Aaron

www.VintageSchwinn.com

NICE SITE!!!

I need one...$$$?....pm me!

Jamie

Back