When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reposting early tricycle

-

1939tv

'Lil Knee Scuffer
I purchased this tricycle at a flea market. I am convinced that it is early as it has no welds and utilizes square-headed bolts and bolts with Carter pins. I will post a couple of photos of the tricycle plus two manufacturer’s tags. Any information on this tricycle would be very much appreciated.
16DD4A74-E1B8-4BEE-B2A6-FF4A39A1EBB5.jpeg
441D3949-9DDF-4626-A843-4E9F87EC10B1.jpeg
472F4DC1-47DC-43B0-B105-1AF0A8C559C3.jpeg
2EA7F7C5-E67A-4505-83C0-26583FD2B9C6.jpeg

Looks like it was made by the Toledo Metal Wheel Co. by the tag on it. Toledo Wheel became part of the American National Co. in the 1920s. This tricycle is an original and not a repop, and appears to be a post-1900 model but prior to the A-N incorporation. I base that opinion solely on the tire/wheel widths compared with the thinner tires/wheels usually found on pre-1900 models. The seat upholstery has obviously been recovered but was done very nicely. This style tricycle is called a "tiller" style trike due to the steering handle design. These were mainly marketed for girls to use as it wasn't considered proper for ladies (even little ladies) to straddle a bike or trike frame around the TOC. Parents who were concerned about tricycle stability also bought them for their little boys to ride. This is a nice example of the tiller style tricycle for your collection. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Dave

Looks like it was made by the Toledo Metal Wheel Co. by the tag on it. Toledo Wheel became part of the American National Co. in the 1920s. This tricycle is an original and not a repop, and appears to be a post-1900 model but prior to the A-N incorporation. I base that opinion solely on the tire/wheel widths compared with the thinner tires/wheels usually found on pre-1900 models. The seat upholstery has obviously been recovered but was done very nicely. This style tricycle is called a "tiller" style trike due to the steering handle design. These were mainly marketed for girls to use as it wasn't considered proper for ladies (even little ladies) to straddle a bike or trike frame around the TOC. Parents who were concerned about tricycle stability also bought them for their little boys to ride. This is a nice example of the tiller style tricycle for your collection. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Dave
Thank you Dave for the information. I was wondering if it’s possible to date it from the serial number?

Thank you Dave for the information. I was wondering if it’s possible to date it from the serial number?
To be honest, that's the first time I've seen such a number on a child's tricycle. Not sure if it's a serial, model, catalog, or some other reference number. I'm fairly certain there's no documentation that would link it to a mfr. date. Though I'd be interested if you or another CABE member would happen to dig up some information on what the number could possibly be.

Dave

To be honest, that's the first time I've seen such a number on a child's tricycle. Not sure if it's a serial, model, catalog, or some other reference number. I'm fairly certain there's no documentation that would link it to a mfr. date. Though I'd be interested if you or another CABE member would happen to dig up some information on what the number could possibly be.

Dave

Dave
Definitely Dave.
Hopefully we get some feedback. I really want to know about this tricycle in the worse way!

Eric

I purchased this tricycle at a flea market. I am convinced that it is early as it has no welds and utilizes square-headed bolts and bolts with Carter pins. I will post a couple of photos of the tricycle plus two manufacturer’s tags. Any information on this tricycle would be very much appreciated. View attachment 1701454View attachment 1701455View attachment 1701459View attachment 1701460
Looks like a period collection or inventory number from an institution. I would research Indiana University.

The man that sold me the Tricycle, told me that it sat for decades in a museum before he was finally able acquire it I would think that this would account for it’s condition, and the quality job that was done on the seat.

I had the pleasure to speak in-depth with the owner of the antique store I bought it from. He told me that it sat 50+ years in a small town museum, with the owner selling it recently as he gave up the museum when he was in his 90’s. I was told by the dealer that the tricycle was displayed as being from 1893. Could the lack of any welding add credence to this, as from what I can find out is that welding made it’s appearance just after the turn of the century, and was very quickly adopted by manufactures?

Back