When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reposting early tricycle

-
@1939tv, This 1902 Sears Roebuck & Co. Catalog listing appears to be very close in design to your tricycle, seat and tiller are very similar and advertisement states that it could have come equipped with either steel or rubber tires. Everything I found prior to this date seems to be equipped with only steel wheels no rubber tires and is of somewhat different slightly less refined design. It is of my opinion your tricycle is post turn of the century. Also looking at the hubs on your tricycle wheels it is of my opinion that your tricycle is even later than this 1902 date more likely from the 10's or teens maybe even the 20's but most certainly not prior to 1900 in any case.

1664763627942.jpeg

@1939tv, This 1902 Sears Roebuck & Co. Catalog listing appears to be very close in design to your tricycle, seat and tiller are very similar and advertisement states that it could have come equipped with either steel or rubber tires. Everything I found prior to this date seems to be equipped with only steel wheels no rubber tires and is of somewhat different slightly less refined design. It is of my opinion your tricycle is post turn of the century. Also looking at the hubs on your tricycle wheels it is of my opinion that your tricycle is even later than this 1902 date more likely from the 10's or teens maybe even the 20's but most certainly not prior to 1900 in any case.

View attachment 1705861

Is it of interest to collectors?
@1939tv , Of course it is! Doesn't need to be pre 1900 to be of interest to collectors. Typically these treadle tricycles sell for between $200 to $500 depending on condition and interest of the buyer. Yours is in very good condition so I would suggest that it is closer in value to the middle or higher end of that range around $400 is where it might sell at in my opinion. I have several of these treadle tricycles, regular tricycles, Irish Mails, and so do other collectors so there should be no trouble selling it if that is what you intend to do. I have seen them priced higher even up to $1000 asking price but don't be fooled, rarely if ever do they sell for that sort of money, they really are more of a $200 to $500 commodity. If you were closer to Michigan I would be willing to consider it myself but I don't believe that you should have too much trouble selling it at some point.

Last edited:
@1939tv , Of course it is! Doesn't need to be pre 1900 to be of interest to collectors. Typically these treadle tricycles sell for between $200 to $500 depending on condition and interest of the buyer. Yours is in very good condition so I would suggest that it is closer in value to the middle or higher end of that range around $400 is where it might sell at in my opinion. I have several of these treadle tricycles, regular tricycles, Irish Mails, and so do other collectors so there should be no trouble selling it if that is what you intend to do. I have seen them priced higher even up to $1000 asking price but don't be fooled, rarely if ever do they sell for that sort of money, they really are more of a $200 to $500 commodity. If you were closer to Michigan I would be willing to consider it myself but I don't believe that you should have too much trouble selling it at some point.
Thanks for your feedback Rambler, it is very appreciated. I’m an eclectic collector, and wanted one classic bike for my collection. This one fits the bill nicely.
Forums such as this serve a great service to collectors, and the exchange of knowledge is a wonderful resource.

Funny you should mention them rarely selling for $1000. The one time I tried bidding on one at a live auction in NC around 25 years ago, the bidding ended at $1200! The first bid was $500. Needless to say, I was in shock. I took $300 with me thinking that would be plenty to win the bid. After all, who else at a rural auction could possibly want an old tricycle badly enough to pay a lot for it? LOL At least it went for way more than I had to spend on one instead of losing the bid by just a few dollars.

Dave

Funny you should mention them rarely selling for $1000. The one time I tried bidding on one at a live auction in NC around 25 years ago, the bidding ended at $1200! The first bid was $500. Needless to say, I was in shock. I took $300 with me thinking that would be plenty to win the bid. After all, who else at a rural auction could possibly want an old tricycle badly enough to pay a lot for it? LOL At least it went for way more than I had to spend on one instead of losing the bid by just a few dollars.

Dave
I agree with you Dave, sometimes things do get carried away at an auction setting. I was at a rural auction some while ago and bidding went much higher than I expected on a bicycle I was interested in as well. These Copake auction examples are more in line with average selling prices of Tiller Treadle Trikes. Tyson

1664822317331.jpeg

Back